West Allis now has its first Community Garden in Rainbow Park!
Mayor Dan Devine cut the ribbon on August 16th accompanied by Alderman Michael May, Dennis Lukaszewski of the UW Extension, Tom Rebstock of the West Allis Community Garden Committee, and Mary Koller of the West Allis Health Department.
The Rainbow Park Garden was a five year venture and combined effort of the Milwaukee County Parks, the UW Extension, the City of West Allis, the Home Depot, the West Allis Community Improvement Foundation, the West Allis Community Garden Committee, and the West Allis Health Department.
Lukaszewski added, "Out of all of our (UW Extension)garden sites, Rainbow Park definitely had the most community involvement (to get it completed)."
The Rainbow Park Garden has 40 plots for rent through the UW Extension, and all were rented this 2014 growing season! "That shows the high interest our West Allis community has in growing their own food, eating right, and choosing to be healthy!", says Mary Koller.
For more information about garden plot rentals, call the UW Extension at (414)256-4606.
For more information about the West Allis Community Garden Committee, call Mary Koller at (414)302-8609.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Big Comedy Event to benefit USO & Camp Hometown Heroes
- The Rookie Cigar Smoker: Here’s How NOT to Look Like One
- Wisconsin Kitchen Mart Suggests Storage Ideas for the Kitchen
- Daddy Daughter Date Night at Sky Zone February 11
- Paul Mitchell the School Milwaukee Takes Part in National Open House Night
- Milwaukee NARI Foundation Announces 2016 Spring Semester Scholarship Recipients
- Men's Grief Support Gathering
- Appliance Gallery Offers Tips for Laundry Room Maintenance
- LOST Miniature Poodle in Wauwatosa
- Encouraging Kindness in your Children