The Medical College of Wisconsin’s (MCW) physical medicine and rehabilitation department will host an Adaptive Sports and Recreation Expo July 26 at Nathan Hale High School in West Allis, Wis.
The expo, which features more than 45 indoor and outdoor programs and activities, will kick off at 9:00 a.m. and run through 3:00 p.m. With the theme of “EveryBODY Plays,” admission is free and the expo will offer activities for all ages.
Nearly 15 percent of Wisconsin residents have some type of disability, and physical activity through sports and recreation is known to have many positive benefits for individuals with disabilities. The goal of the Expo is to connect people and families impacted by disability with community organizations providing services and recreational opportunities in a single venue, allowing them to access opportunities with which they may not be familiar.
Some of the adaptive activities offered at the Expo will include hand cycling, t-ball, kayaking, wheelchair basketball, challenge course, and rugby (full contact wheelchair football), as well as non-athletic endeavors such as art and outdoor recreation.
“It is our hope that the Expo will create exposure, partnerships, collaborations, awareness and engagement. Exercise is medicine, and we are so excited to reach out to the community and showcase the resources and programs which make this type of event a reality,” said Diane Braza, M.D., professor and chair of physical medicine and rehabilitation at MCW.
Curative Care Network, which is celebrating 95 years of service to individuals with disabilities, is a major sponsor of the event. Other sponsors include the Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center, Wheel & Sprocket, the West Allis West Milwaukee School District, Wisconsin Paralyzed Veterans of America, Adaptive Adventures, Sodexo, Great Lakes Adaptive Sports Association, and Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin. The Milwaukee VA Spinal Cord Injury Center’s Badgerland Adaptive Sports Club, Nathan Hale High School and Curative Care Network will also be helping run the event.
For more information about the Expo, call 414-805-9770 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Preregistration is available at everybodyplays.eventbrite.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- CigarMKE Announces Custom Food, Drink & Cigar Lounge Tour in January
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- West Allis resident wins grant through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- Milwaukee/NARI Recognizes Six Industry Advocates
- “Battle of the Bays” Getaway winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Sharpen your swords for New Berlin Rotary's Murder Mystery Feb. 7
- Public welcome to WAUMC's 'The Winter Rose' Christmas cantata
- North Shore Banks Hosts Holiday Event at West Allis Branch on Dec. 20
- Jon Jossart Named General Manager of New Hampton Inn & Suites, to Open in August Near State Fair Grounds
- 10th Annual Tree of Angels celebrates loved ones