West Allis, West Milwaukee Chambers, Schools and MATC Host Event to Teach Youth About Manufacturing
Milwaukee Area Technical College, the West Allis/West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce, West Allis-West Milwaukee School District and local manufacturers are joining forces to raise the awareness of middle and high school students and their parents about academic programs and careers in manufacturing. Dubbed the “Heavy Metal Tour,” the event will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, March 15, at the Energy Conservation and Advanced Manufacturing (ECAM) Center at MATC’s Oak Creek Campus, 6665 S. Howell Ave.
Participants will tour ECAM, talk with manufacturers, MATC instructors and students, and representatives from the American Welding Society. They will work with computerized equipment and robotics. Participants also will learn about the growing number of career options in the manufacturing sector as well as training opportunities for those jobs. Among the participating companies are DUECO, Harley-Davidson, Iverson & Company, Manitowoc Crane, Quad Graphics and Senior Flexonics GA Precision.
Major sponsors of the event are Harley-Davidson, Masterson Company, Quad Graphics and Senior Flexonics GA Precision. Supporting sponsors are Allis-Roller, LLC; DUECO; GFS Marketplace; Lakeside Manufacturing; Manitowoc Crane; Milwaukee Machine Works; Poblocki Sign Company; Toshiba; and Unit Drop Forge Co.
On March 18, student participants 14 and older also will tour a variety of local manufacturing companies and experience a manufacturing work environment.
ECAM is a $9 million, 34,000-square-foot facility which is home to many educational and
training opportunities. Opened in 2007, ECAM hosts learning laboratories in advanced manufacturing, manufacturing welding, advanced software, energy solutions, HVAC digital controls and HVAC computers.
For more information and to register, call the West Allis/West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce at (414) 302-9901 or visit http://www.wawmchamber.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Get up, get out, get active at free Day of Play event!
- Dr. Zhenghao Wu, MD, Joins Columbia St. Mary’s Columbia West
- Rogers Memorial Hospital to Host Job Fair in Brown Deer
- Recruitment Event in West Allis at Easter Seals
- Wisconsin Residents Join LUNG FORCE Walk to End Lung Cancer
- Appliance Gallery Offers Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Dishwasher
- Unity World Day of Prayer Observances
- Milwaukee/NARI Foundation Announces Academic Scholarship Availability
- Art and Nature Come Together at the First Annual Artists in The Garden Weekend at the Boerner Botanical Gardens in Whitnall Park, September 12th and 13th, 2015
- New Berlin Swim Club Tryouts