Ed Stech’s name is synonymous with the sport of wrestling. He was the head wrestling coach at West Allis from 1956-1975 and started the E. H. Stech Wrestling Tournament which will celebrate its 40th invitational year during this upcoming 2013-2014 winter sports season. Ed served the West Allis school district as a teacher from 1956-1985, wrestling coach and has been a WIAA official throughout his educational career.
Ed currently resides at Hart Park Square senior community in Wauwatosa, and routinely invites his fellow friends and neighbors to join him for the tournament that bears his name. “Ed is such a caring, involved and positive person who truly has the best interests of those around him at heart,” commented Nina Birschbach, Lifestyle Coordinator at Hart Park Square.
Mr. Stech continues to announce all of West Allis wrestling duals and oversees setup of all wrestling events, assigning workers for all home duals and invites. He continues to organize the E.H. Stech Wrestling Tournament and assists with the wrestling program throughout the season. Ed also is involved in supporting other athletic events, working as security staff and in other essential event staff positions. In addition, he has made numerous donations to West Allis athletic department and is a member of the Monogram Club, providing awards for athletes along with scholarships to graduating athletes who are college bound.
Among Stech’s many accomplishments and recognitions, Ed was honored as an inductee in the 1977 inaugural class of the George Martin Hall of Fame. Ed was also inducted into the Wisconsin Chapter of the National Wresting Hall of Fame in 1998. “Ed has been a mentor to many young athletes and still keeps in touch with them after many, many years,” noted Birschbach. This fall, Ed was honored by the Wisconsin Athletic Directors Association when he received the Distinguished Service to High School Athletics Award at their annual conference. Stech was nominated for the award by Clayton Hemphill, the Athletic Director at West Allis Central High School.
Hart Park Square is a Laureate Group senior community that offers independent and assisted living apartments. For more information, visit www.laureategroup.com
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- MIAW Pro Wrestling Returns to Papa Luigi's
- University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee Alumnus receives Cal State L.A.'s 2015 Outstanding Professor Award
- BBB to Hold Free Fall Shredding Event
- Harlem Ambassador Comedy Basketball Event Coming to West Allis
- INTERFAITH HOSTING ANNUAL NEIGHBORHOOD OUTREACH FUNDRAISER TO SUPPORT SENIORS IN THE COMMUNITY
- Kohl's Cares Grow Safe & Healthy Mobile Tour coming to Harvest Fair
- St. Mary's Visitation Christian Women Society Welcomes All to
- American Legion Big Flag Presentation at Homecoming
- Trinity Holly Fair
- TWO MEN AND A TRUCK Kicks off Movers for Military Drive to Help Veterans in Shelters