Ed Stech’s name is synonymous with the sport of wrestling. He was the head wrestling coach at West Allis from 1956-1975 and started the E. H. Stech Wrestling Tournament which will celebrate its 40th invitational year during this upcoming 2013-2014 winter sports season. Ed served the West Allis school district as a teacher from 1956-1985, wrestling coach and has been a WIAA official throughout his educational career.
Ed currently resides at Hart Park Square senior community in Wauwatosa, and routinely invites his fellow friends and neighbors to join him for the tournament that bears his name. “Ed is such a caring, involved and positive person who truly has the best interests of those around him at heart,” commented Nina Birschbach, Lifestyle Coordinator at Hart Park Square.
Mr. Stech continues to announce all of West Allis wrestling duals and oversees setup of all wrestling events, assigning workers for all home duals and invites. He continues to organize the E.H. Stech Wrestling Tournament and assists with the wrestling program throughout the season. Ed also is involved in supporting other athletic events, working as security staff and in other essential event staff positions. In addition, he has made numerous donations to West Allis athletic department and is a member of the Monogram Club, providing awards for athletes along with scholarships to graduating athletes who are college bound.
Among Stech’s many accomplishments and recognitions, Ed was honored as an inductee in the 1977 inaugural class of the George Martin Hall of Fame. Ed was also inducted into the Wisconsin Chapter of the National Wresting Hall of Fame in 1998. “Ed has been a mentor to many young athletes and still keeps in touch with them after many, many years,” noted Birschbach. This fall, Ed was honored by the Wisconsin Athletic Directors Association when he received the Distinguished Service to High School Athletics Award at their annual conference. Stech was nominated for the award by Clayton Hemphill, the Athletic Director at West Allis Central High School.
Hart Park Square is a Laureate Group senior community that offers independent and assisted living apartments. For more information, visit www.laureategroup.com
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- CigarMKE Announces Custom Food, Drink & Cigar Lounge Tour in January
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- West Allis resident wins grant through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- Milwaukee/NARI Recognizes Six Industry Advocates
- “Battle of the Bays” Getaway winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Sharpen your swords for New Berlin Rotary's Murder Mystery Feb. 7
- Public welcome to WAUMC's 'The Winter Rose' Christmas cantata
- North Shore Banks Hosts Holiday Event at West Allis Branch on Dec. 20
- Jon Jossart Named General Manager of New Hampton Inn & Suites, to Open in August Near State Fair Grounds
- 10th Annual Tree of Angels celebrates loved ones