) The West Allis – West Milwaukee School District has six schools named as “Wisconsin Schools of Recognition” for the 2013 – 2014 school year. These schools are Franklin, Horace Mann, Jefferson, Longfellow, Pershing and Wilson Elementary Schools. This is among the highest percentage of schools by any district in the state according to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
This is the seventh year in a row that the WAWM School District has had at three or more schools receive this prestigious award. Since 2006 the West Allis – West Milwaukee Schools have been recognized 39 times. Wilson Elementary (7 consecutive), Jefferson Elementary for the sixth time, Longfellow Elementary for the fifth time, Franklin and Pershing Elementary for the fourth time, the third consecutive for Horace Mann Elementary all received this award last year. This prestigious award recognizes schools for their consistent achievement over time and closing the achievement gap that these schools face in light of ESEA: No Child Left Behind. These schools must also meet certain additional academic and demographic criteria in order to qualify.
It is a great honor for our District’s schools to be recognized; in addition, it is a tribute not only to these schools but to ALL of our schools and ALL of our employees who continue to put children first with focus on student learning and achievement.
The four schools listed above represented our school district at the State Capitol building in Madison on Tuesday, October 8, 2013 to receive their “Wisconsin School of Recognition” award.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Announcing Wisconsin Massage Clinic Open House
- BBB's 10 Tips for Safe Online Shopping On Cyber Monday
- Gabe Smith will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Abby Thompson will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- North Shore Bank Helps Kick Off Candy Cane Lane on Nov. 28
- TOP 10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN BUYING A HOME
- Twenty-Nine Years of Holiday Lights Provide Hope on Candy Cane Lane
- Bohman to Play Division 1 Volleyball
- Program Serving Up More than Lunch
- Christmas Holly Fair