West Allis resident wins Days of Sharing donation for Literacy Services of Wisconsin from Northwestern Mutual
Northwestern Mutual, through its Foundation, is announcing a $4,000 grant for Literacy Services of Wisconsin on behalf of West Allis resident Julie Knox, a winner in Northwestern Mutual’s Days of Sharing campaign. The annual program encourages employees to nominate local nonprofits they care deeply about to receive grant funds in their name.
Knox works as a compensation and account analyst in the field rewards department at the Milwaukee-based financial security company.
“Literacy Services of Wisconsin helps students read and learn English,” said Knox. “As a tutor, I’ve seen firsthand how the organization has been affected by the economy. This grant will help the organization update or replace needed supplies, such as dictionaries.”
More than 770 employees nominated their favorite local nonprofit as part of Days of Sharing this year. The 25 winning grants were chosen at random each day during the week of November 12 and range in size from $1,000 to $10,000.
“Northwestern Mutual employees have a long history of giving back to the community,” said John Kordsmeier, president, Northwestern Mutual Foundation. “This is a unique way for us to recognize and honor the passion that employees like Julie have for strengthening the places where we live and work.”
More than 1,000 Northwestern Mutual employees donate 21,000 hours each year to community volunteer efforts through group activities, mentoring, charity drives, and service on nonprofit boards.
In the program’s five-year history, the Northwestern Mutual Foundation has awarded more than $600,000 in grants on behalf of its employees.
- Stampede for Scouting at the Zoo
- Catholic Singles Memorial Day Picnic
- Summer Reading is Starting Soon
- Campus News
- A Disappearing Continues!
- New Theater Company Takes an Analytical Approach to Entertainment
- Last week for residents to apply for Milwaukee County Energy Assistance Program
- Wisconsin Kitchen Mart Offers Bathroom Remodel Budget Tips
- Suburban Concert Band plays Spring Concert May 20
- Eat at Transfer Pizzeria May 9-23 to benefit Second Hand Purrs