Nancy Komp has been a gardener as long as she can remember. She and her husband Chuck had a large vegetable garden in the backyard of their home – growing everything from kohlrabi and lettuce to green beans and tomatoes. They also planted a variety of wildflowers, perennials, and annuals. “Wherever there was space for something to grow, we planted something,” explained Nancy.
Because gardening was such an integral part of their lives, it was difficult to give up their home which they had lived in for over 45 years. After deciding to spend one last summer in their home, Chuck’s health suffered and he passed away shortly thereafter. Nancy knew then that it was time to move to an easier lifestyle, but she desperately wanted to continue her gardening when she moved to Library Square.
After talking with Debbie Mauel, the Lifestyle Coordinator, about how she could continue her gardening, they came up with a plan. Nancy accompanied Tim, the Maintenance Director to Stein’s Garden Center and picked out all of the flowers for the front circle and the flower pots around the building. She chose wildflowers, asters, zinnias and petunias, and impatiens for the courtyard. She carefully plotted out where each plant should go, and with the help of a friend, they designed a beautiful landscape. “It’s the best our front circle has ever looked,” compliments Debbie.
With the help of her daughter, who also has an interest in gardening, Nancy grew cucumbers and tomatoes and plans to add lettuce this year. Even her apartment is adorned with various houseplants. “I guess I like making things grow,” says Komp. Nancy credits gardening with keeping her connected and she hopes to draw other residents into her gardening projects at Library Square.
Library Square is a Laureate Group senior community that offers independent and assisted living apartments. For more information visit www.laureategroup.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New "Sporkies" Food Competition Has Wisconsin State Fair Vendors Competing For Coveted Golden Spork Award
- Kids Travel Around the World for Children's Book Week
- Around the World Challenge
- Wisconsin BBB Advises: Beware of Green Dot MoneyPak Scams
- Children's Medical Grants Now Available in Wisconsin from the UnitedHealthcare Children's Foundation
- Welcome to First Weber Group...
- First Weber Welcomes Experienced Agent....
- Feline Superstars Debut This Weekend in New Endangered Species Puzzles at Zoo
- BBB Moves to New Location
- Medical College of Wisconsin Open House