The West Allis-West Milwaukee School District is hosting its 2nd Annual Parent Safety Night on Monday, May 7, 2012 from 7:00-8:30 pm in the West Allis Nathan Hale High School Auditorium. Working in collaboration with the West Allis Police Department, the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District, and the West Allis-West Milwaukee Community Coalition, the three organizations will be presenting information to parents only on the dangers of alcohol, drug, and prescription medication abuse. This event is meant to be a proactive intervention to help parents recognize the warning signs, identify the risks their children face, and provide parents with resources available to families. This program has become an annual event hosted by West Allis Central and Nathan Hale High Schools.
This event is open to parents of any West Allis-West Milwaukee Intermediate or High School student. Too often when parents think of drug or alcohol abuse, they think it won’t happen to my children. My kids are “A” students. They are outstanding athletes. My kids have wonderful friends. Today our children are faced with many pressures, temptations, and are looking for help. Unfortunately, some of our children turn to alcohol, prescription drugs, and other substances to fill those needs or increase their performance.
The format of the program will be a panel discussion, with opportunities for parents to ask questions. Representing the panel will be a family practitioner, a pharmacist, a parent of drug abuse victim, and the WAPD and WAFD, as well as WAWM school staff. In light of the growing problems our families face, it is hoped this event will better equip our parents to keep their children safe, and help them to make positive life choices. We hope to see you there!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- BBB Free Fall Shred Event helped Record Number of Wisconsinites Fight Identity Theft
- Milwaukee/NARI Office Serving As Salvation Army Toy Shop Collection Location
- St. Ann Center Indoor Market starts Saturday!
- Milwaukee Festival Brass Concert:
- From Youth Apprentice to Full-Time Employee
- West Allis Diamond Twirlers 2014 Season
- Volunteer Celebrates 35 Years Participating In Holiday Folk Fair
- Mary Jude Residents Paint Festive Pumpkins
- Hallman Lindsay opens West Allis Store
- Brookdale and Wish of a Lifetime™ Grant Brookfield Senior’s Wish