Alverno Presents Sexy Results: Cedar Block’s Dig for the Higgs and How the Quest was Won
It’s a new-fangled variety show that tells the story of one man’s love of science, the trash-talking particle accelerator that broke his heart, and the much-theorized Higgs Boson particle that will answer the Big Question – that’s right -- Life, The Universe, and Everything.
An Alverno Presents commission, “Sexy Results: Cedar Block’s Dig for the Higgs and How the Quest was Won,” is an evening-length mash-up of rock, spoken word, artist installations and video that takes place Saturday, February 18th at 8 p.m. at the Turner Hall Ballroom. Single tickets are $15.00, and may be purchased through the Alverno Presents Box Office at 414-382-6044, on-line at http://alvernopresents.alverno.edu, or through Turner Hall at http://pabsttheater.org/show/cedarblock2012.
The hypothetical Higgs Boson particle should answer the question of what gives particles mass, lending credence to everything else that goes into the standard model of physics. It's proved elusive through 30 years of experiments, and the first physicist to find it will be guaranteed a Nobel Prize.
Cedar Block wants that Nobel Prize, but they're going about it a little differently. In the tradition of Monet and Cezanne, they expect to make the discovery through art. Specifically, Cedar Block is corralling Milwaukee- and nationally-based musicians, installation artists, and filmmakers to find the elusive Higgs at Turner Hall. Even if they don't, they're still putting on an awesome show.
Alverno Presents, the performing arts series of Alverno College, is celebrating its 52nd year. The series has innovated beyond our history as the longest running, continuous arts presenter in the city, to our niche of presenting contemporary dance, world music and jazz. Alverno Presents shares the school’s mission by ensuring broad access to and participation in learning, experiencing and developing the arts for the learning community of Alverno, and our community as a whole. For more information on Alverno Presents, special projects, media reviews and more, visit alvernopresents.alverno.edu, contact Alverno Presents Director David Ravel at 414-382-6150, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- West Allis resident wins grant through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- Milwaukee/NARI Recognizes Six Industry Advocates
- “Battle of the Bays” Getaway winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Sharpen your swords for New Berlin Rotary's Murder Mystery Feb. 7
- Public welcome to WAUMC's 'The Winter Rose' Christmas cantata
- North Shore Banks Hosts Holiday Event at West Allis Branch on Dec. 20
- Jon Jossart Named General Manager of New Hampton Inn & Suites, to Open in August Near State Fair Grounds
- 10th Annual Tree of Angels celebrates loved ones
- Foti Chiropractic Fulfills Dream of Second Make-A-Wish Recipient in 2014