WEST ALLIS AUTO BODY
Did you know that there's been an auto body repair shop at 8808 West National Avenue since 1927? It started out as the home of George and Mary Schoester which was 8112 Muckwonago Road according to the old city directories at the West Allis Historical Society.
A year or two later, Muckwonago Road was changed to National Avenue and the street numbering was changed to conform with Milwaukee street numbering. Hence, 8112 became 8812.
In 1927, George Schoster called his business, “Automobile Body Builder, Rebuilder and Repairer.”
In 1932, Mr. Schoster listed his business as “West Allis Auto Body Co.” He apparently worked out of his garage and the business address became 8808 over the years.
George, and then later his son, Vic, ran the business until May of 1971 when Gary Krolikowski and his partner, Gerald Butalla, bought the business from Vic Schoster. It's been in the family since under the name of “West Allis Auto Body.”
Gary and Jerry made many improvements to the shop and received a beautification award from the mayor. They bought the old Schoster house, tore it down and put an additional lot for parking and a garage door for easier access into the shop.
Glenn Krolikowski, son of Gary, took over the business in 2004 when his dad retired. He took auto body repair at MATC and started working for his dad 20 years ago. They use the latest equipment in collision repair technology but take old-fashioned pride in every job. No vehicle leaves the shop unless the fit, finish and performance of a car are completely restored. Check out his website at www.westallisautobody.com or call him at 414-327-4140. You'll be glad you did.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Klotz One of Four Finalists for the Gagliardi Trophy
- Enjoy Mount Hope's Candlelight Christmas Concert This Sunday
- Hear Ye, Hear Ye, The Bells are Ringing!
- St. Matthew's Lutheran Church to Present Christmas Concert
- Encourage your kids to become involved in extracurriculars
- Kids from Wisconsin Backstage Sale
- You're Invited!
- 2014 Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show Scheduled
- Easter Seals SE Wisconsin to expand training, employment opportunities by creating accessible commercial kitchen
- Choosing Educational Gifts for Children