On Saturday, April 16th, the Wisconsin Better Business Bureau (BBB) will host “ShredFest” – a free document shredding event that helps people protect themselves from identity theft.
The event will be held at the WaterStone Bank branch, 10101 W. Greenfield Avenue, in West Allis from 8:30 to 11 am. There is a limit of three boxes per car. The Wisconsin BBB, WaterStone Bank and ProShred Security are co-sponsoring the event.
Shredding personal information is an important first step in identity theft protection. In fact, most identity theft cases occur after personal information has been lost or stolen, which is why the BBB encourages consumers to dispose of unneeded personal documents responsibly.
“This is largely a crime of access,” said Randall Hoth, president/CEO of the Wisconsin Better Business Bureau. “Our goal here is to make the information less accessible and empower people to be their own first line of defense against identity theft.”
The Federal Trade Commission says that identity theft was the top complaint category in 2010, and it received 2,553 complaints from Wisconsinites. Almost half of those - 1,029 – came from consumers in metro-Milwaukee.
The BBB’s shredding event is part of a larger, national shredding day hosted by BBB offices throughout the United States. In addition to the event in West Allis, the BBB will be hosting shredding events in Madison and Appleton.
For more information, including a records retention schedule and a list of items that should be shredded, go to www.wisconsin.bbb.org/shredfest or call 414-847-6000.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin Residents Join LUNG FORCE Walk to End Lung Cancer
- Appliance Gallery Offers Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Dishwasher
- Unity World Day of Prayer Observances
- Milwaukee/NARI Foundation Announces Academic Scholarship Availability
- Art and Nature Come Together at the First Annual Artists in The Garden Weekend at the Boerner Botanical Gardens in Whitnall Park, September 12th and 13th, 2015
- New Berlin Swim Club Tryouts
- New Home for Uncle Ned's Consignment Liquidation & Estate Sales, LLC
- National Youth Wind Orchestra of Luxembourg to perform
- Crafters, classic car owners, community groups sought for community event
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin Announces 14th Annual Big League Blood Drive