On Saturday, April 16th, the Wisconsin Better Business Bureau (BBB) will host “ShredFest” – a free document shredding event that helps people protect themselves from identity theft.
The event will be held at the WaterStone Bank branch, 10101 W. Greenfield Avenue, in West Allis from 8:30 to 11 am. There is a limit of three boxes per car. The Wisconsin BBB, WaterStone Bank and ProShred Security are co-sponsoring the event.
Shredding personal information is an important first step in identity theft protection. In fact, most identity theft cases occur after personal information has been lost or stolen, which is why the BBB encourages consumers to dispose of unneeded personal documents responsibly.
“This is largely a crime of access,” said Randall Hoth, president/CEO of the Wisconsin Better Business Bureau. “Our goal here is to make the information less accessible and empower people to be their own first line of defense against identity theft.”
The Federal Trade Commission says that identity theft was the top complaint category in 2010, and it received 2,553 complaints from Wisconsinites. Almost half of those - 1,029 – came from consumers in metro-Milwaukee.
The BBB’s shredding event is part of a larger, national shredding day hosted by BBB offices throughout the United States. In addition to the event in West Allis, the BBB will be hosting shredding events in Madison and Appleton.
For more information, including a records retention schedule and a list of items that should be shredded, go to www.wisconsin.bbb.org/shredfest or call 414-847-6000.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- What's Your Score? - presented by Educators Credit Union
- Wisconsin Kitchen Mart Takes the Mystery Out of Remodeling
- Guitar Workshop Series Offered at White House of Music, Wauwatosa
- Village Playhouse Children's Drama Classes
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins
- G.A.P.C. Hosts Annual Strawberry Fest June 14th
- New Products Now Available at Appliance Gallery
- Milwaukee/NARI Foundation Announces Results of 2015 Rummage Sale
- Summer Basketball Camps for Youth