Da Vinci Code fans are invited to read Geraldine Brooks’ People of the Book and then join in a one-hour discussion led by Pastor Sue Burwell on Jan. 16 at 11 a.m. in room four at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church, 1529 Wauwatosa Ave.
People of the Book explores an ancient Hebrew manuscript ― the Sarajevo Haggadah, a 15th century Jewish artifact ― that traveled around the world from the city that serves as capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It’s also a story about tolerance, as Muslims, Christians and Jews seek to preserve the lavishly illuminated manuscript.
This novel is said to have less flash and more substance than the Dan Brown work and made independent bookstores’ bestseller lists.
Numerous copies, including sound recordings and large print editions, of the People of the Book are available through the Milwaukee Public Library system.
Treat yourself to some interesting reading in these early days of 2011, then visit WAUMC on Jan. 16 for free coffee and a lively book discussion.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Wauwatosa was incorporated on May 22, 1848. In 1868, the 42-member congregation purchased the site upon which the current building stands at 1529 Wauwatosa Ave.The first church building stood until the fire of 1919. In April 1921, the congregation returned to the site to meet in the basement rooms of the new church. United Methodism was formed when the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church merged in 1968. The church sanctuary is home to a three-manual, 46-rank Schantz organ.
Today, the Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church congregation is 500 strong. We are firmly committed to inclusiveness, celebrating a diversity of people, ideas and cultures. WAUMC offers two Sunday services, Christian education classes for individuals ages 3 through adult, a variety of adult and youth music programs and Girl Scout and Boy Scout troops. The congregation is involved with more than a dozen local, national and international mission outreach efforts.
For more information, call 414-453-0700 or visit www.waumc.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- CigarMKE Announces Custom Food, Drink & Cigar Lounge Tour in January
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- West Allis resident wins grant through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- Milwaukee/NARI Recognizes Six Industry Advocates
- “Battle of the Bays” Getaway winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Sharpen your swords for New Berlin Rotary's Murder Mystery Feb. 7
- Public welcome to WAUMC's 'The Winter Rose' Christmas cantata
- North Shore Banks Hosts Holiday Event at West Allis Branch on Dec. 20
- Jon Jossart Named General Manager of New Hampton Inn & Suites, to Open in August Near State Fair Grounds
- 10th Annual Tree of Angels celebrates loved ones