On Friday October 15th the parents of Longfellow Elementrary School students received a letter regarding a gun shop opening kiddie corner to the school. A group of concerned parents have contacted our Aldermen, Mayor, etc...only to find out that by law, the owner of this building has a legal right to open this gun shop. The State law mandates that a gun shop has to be 1000 feet from a school, the guns must be unloaded and encased prior to leaving the premises.
Concerned parents have taken up a petition in opposition to allowing this shop to open in such close distance to the school and its students. We would like to encourage and ask for those who have signed our petition, and others who are opposed to this gunshop opening at this location please attend the Nov.2nd Common Council Meeting at 7pm, located at West Allis City Hall. At this time we will present our petition and voice our concerns regarding this situation. Please also look for further information regarding a open forum meeting for the parents of Longfellow School, neighbors and fellow community members where we wil meet with the gun shop owner Mr. Michael Govas. This will be an informational meeting regarding the opening of the gun shop, and concerns can also be addressed at this time.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- "In Your Eyes: The Animal/Human Connection"
- Enroll Now For Free Welding Training
- Greenfield Concert Band is Recruiting New Members!
- Polonia's Annual Festival
- The American Dream - Homebuyer Education presented by Educator's Credit Union
- More WAWM Students Opt for AP Exams
- Wisconsin Kitchen Mart Explains How to Make an Old Home Shine
- Rose Tattoo folk group to be revived in Milwaukee
- Bayview Historical Society 35th Anniversary Celebration
- St. Thomas More High School to Dedicate New Gym Floor to Coach Rick Majerus