On Friday October 15th the parents of Longfellow Elementrary School students received a letter regarding a gun shop opening kiddie corner to the school. A group of concerned parents have contacted our Aldermen, Mayor, etc...only to find out that by law, the owner of this building has a legal right to open this gun shop. The State law mandates that a gun shop has to be 1000 feet from a school, the guns must be unloaded and encased prior to leaving the premises.
Concerned parents have taken up a petition in opposition to allowing this shop to open in such close distance to the school and its students. We would like to encourage and ask for those who have signed our petition, and others who are opposed to this gunshop opening at this location please attend the Nov.2nd Common Council Meeting at 7pm, located at West Allis City Hall. At this time we will present our petition and voice our concerns regarding this situation. Please also look for further information regarding a open forum meeting for the parents of Longfellow School, neighbors and fellow community members where we wil meet with the gun shop owner Mr. Michael Govas. This will be an informational meeting regarding the opening of the gun shop, and concerns can also be addressed at this time.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Catholic Singles Memorial Day Picnic
- Catholic Singles Dance
- Lutheran Home Hires Wolkomir as Social Services Director
- Master Gardener Perennial Plant Sale
- Construction begins for new Summit Credit Union branch in Franklin
- FREE Health Screening to Detect a “Silent Killer”
- Song Writers Seek Testers
- Workforce Development Center's Spring Job Fair
- Heiser Chevrolet Honored as "Business of the Year"
- Lutheran A Cappella Choir to Present Spring Concert