West Allis Hale's Schwab disrupted offenses from new position
Huskies' linebacker named All-Suburban
West Allis - In his football career at West Allis Hale, Alex Schwab has played defense both as a cornerback and linebacker, but he clearly prefers the latter.
"I love playing close to the line," said Schwab. "You get in on more stuff. It's really fun getting in the middle of plays and doing some damage."
Schwab did plenty of damage in his senior year at linebacker for the Huskies, totaling 81 tackles with 58 solos and 23 assists. He collected 12 tackles for losses, picked off two passes, recovered two fumbles and broke up seven passes.
For all the havoc he caused on defense, helping lead Hale to four victories this season and making the Huskies competitive against just about every foe, Schwab is part of the 2012 NOW Newspapers All-Suburban team.
"Alex is the most talented and hardest-working player I've had the opportunity to coach," said first-year head coach Brandon Ehret. "He was our best overall player, a playmaker and an impact player each and every week for us."
Ehret switched Schwab from cornerback to linebacker this season, and Schwab prepared for the new role by putting on 25 pounds in the off-season.
"It was all through the weight room," he smiled, "not just extra fat."
Schwab, who was the top vote-getter and first-team selection on the all-Greater Metro Conference unit, is now being recruited by some NCAA Division I-AA colleges, such as Drake and Stetson.
He also is considering walking on at larger schools like Minnesota, Iowa and Boise State.
Schwab is proud to be part of what he believes will be a turnaround for the Hale program in future years under Ehret.
"I really think he can take our program to new heights," Schwab said. "He put forth a lot of effort this year. He oversees all aspects of the program, particularly academics. He really puts his heart into the program."
Ehret feels the same way about Schwab.
"He is an exceptional leader and has great instincts and desire for the game," the coach said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 29, 2015
- Whitnall co-op, Central fare well in Zelinski Duals wrestling tourney
- West Allis Hale boys basketball team pulls off trifecta of victories
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015
- Late 3-point shot by Tosa East sends West Allis Central to tough loss
- West Allis Central girls nip Greenfield in battle of resurgent teams
- Greenfield wrestlers take second, West Allis Hale fifth in Bauer Brawl
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 8, 2014
- Greenfield girls basketball team claims West Allis Hale tourney crown
- West Allis Hale girls rally past Central in city clash, 53-42