West Allis girls claim gymnastics dual victory
Local team looks for fast finish to season
Although the West Allis gymnastics season so far may seem a bit slow-paced, the team is hoping for a fast finish.
The local squad downed Shorewood in a dual meet on Jan. 29 in its first action in two weeks.
"This season may seem slow and not like much to the outside eye," head coach Amanda Kohnke said, "but we are going to end this season so strongly! I see so much improvement in skills, and it is very exciting."
West Allis won the dual despite having just four girls available. Haley Gagliano and Gabby Raab are still out with injuries.
"They are slowly working their way back into the gym," Kohnke said. "I am really hoping to have one, if not both, for our conference meet (on Feb. 21)."
Picking up some of the slack was Sydnee Tomczak, who won the all-around and was solid on every event, the coach said.
"It is great having such a strong sophomore," Kohnke said. "I see great things in her future."
West Allis met Brookfield on Feb. 5 and will welcome Port Washington at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 12 for another dual.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Central, Hale finish one-two in Bulldog relays
- West Allis Hale girls track and field team snares third place at Reinhard Relays
- Former West Allis Central wrestling coach Ed Stech dies at 85
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central sees WIAA tournament run end at hands of powerful Stevens Point
- Resilient West Allis Central boys keep coming back from adversity
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team makes strides in 2014-15
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central's crazy run to state complete with victory over Marquette
- West Allis Central boys capture WIAA Division 1 regional championship
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central boys use big fourth quarter to down West Allis Hale in WIAA regional
- Sport Shorts: March 5, 2015