West Allis girls claim gymnastics dual victory
Local team looks for fast finish to season
Although the West Allis gymnastics season so far may seem a bit slow-paced, the team is hoping for a fast finish.
The local squad downed Shorewood in a dual meet on Jan. 29 in its first action in two weeks.
"This season may seem slow and not like much to the outside eye," head coach Amanda Kohnke said, "but we are going to end this season so strongly! I see so much improvement in skills, and it is very exciting."
West Allis won the dual despite having just four girls available. Haley Gagliano and Gabby Raab are still out with injuries.
"They are slowly working their way back into the gym," Kohnke said. "I am really hoping to have one, if not both, for our conference meet (on Feb. 21)."
Picking up some of the slack was Sydnee Tomczak, who won the all-around and was solid on every event, the coach said.
"It is great having such a strong sophomore," Kohnke said. "I see great things in her future."
West Allis met Brookfield on Feb. 5 and will welcome Port Washington at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 12 for another dual.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hale cross country runners Nelson and Mihaljevic head to state
- Sport Shorts: Oct, 23, 2014 issue
- West Allis Hale closes out football season with 35-7 loss to Lancers
- West Allis Hale runners place fourth in GMC among some elite company
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- West Allis Hale cross country teams surge to second at Waterford
- West Allis Central boys soccer team posts first victory of season
- High-powered offense boosts West Allis Hale football team over East
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8