West Allis girls claim gymnastics dual victory
Local team looks for fast finish to season
Although the West Allis gymnastics season so far may seem a bit slow-paced, the team is hoping for a fast finish.
The local squad downed Shorewood in a dual meet on Jan. 29 in its first action in two weeks.
"This season may seem slow and not like much to the outside eye," head coach Amanda Kohnke said, "but we are going to end this season so strongly! I see so much improvement in skills, and it is very exciting."
West Allis won the dual despite having just four girls available. Haley Gagliano and Gabby Raab are still out with injuries.
"They are slowly working their way back into the gym," Kohnke said. "I am really hoping to have one, if not both, for our conference meet (on Feb. 21)."
Picking up some of the slack was Sydnee Tomczak, who won the all-around and was solid on every event, the coach said.
"It is great having such a strong sophomore," Kohnke said. "I see great things in her future."
West Allis met Brookfield on Feb. 5 and will welcome Port Washington at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 12 for another dual.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale's Ron Kurtz crosses finish line of coaching career
- Losses continue for competitive West Allis Central baseball team
- Long before NBA draft, Looney leaves impression on West Allis Central coach
- West Allis Hale baseball team starts poorly but finishes week strongly
- West Allis Hale makes move up Greater Metro Conference ladder with three victories
- West Allis Nighthawks break loose on offense, hammer Grafton
- Greenfield baseball team blanks Pius XI 1-0 in contest at Miller Park
- West Allis Hale's Scherer claims medal in pole vault at state track meet
- Sport Shorts: June 4, 2015
- Criswell paces West Allis Central boys state track contingent