West Allis Central wrestlers hoping to make mark in GMC
Bulldogs lost only to Huskies, Indians
West Allis - Jon Nelson, Central's wrestling coach, has a message for anyone focusing solely on Hale and Menomonee Falls at Friday's Greater Metro Conference Tournament:
Don't forget about the Bulldogs.
Central downed Brookfield East, 40-34, in a GMC dual meet Jan. 24 behind five pins and finished third behind the Huskies (6-0) and Indians (5-1) in conference duals this season.
The Bulldogs lost to Hale, 42-23, in December and to Falls, 40-25, in mid-January.
"We are planning on contending with Falls and Hale for the championship," said Nelson, who plans to shift his lineup a bit for the tournament. "We beat Brookfield East, even though it wasn't our best wrestling."
Recording pins for Central were Tere White at 113 pounds in 2 minutes, 36 seconds; Jose Ramos at 126 pounds in 5:33, Alan Silva at 132 in 5:25, Dylan Diebitz at 170 pounds in 3:25 and Jason Alvarez at 182 pounds in 3:56.
The Bulldogs also placed fifth in the prestigious E.H. Stech Invitational and won the South Milwaukee Duals this season.
They will take on Hale, Falls and all other comers at the GMC Tournament, which begins at 3:30 p.m. Friday at Marquette High School.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale boys basketball team boasts strong shooting, athleticism in 2015-16
- Depth promises to be a strength for West Allis Central boys basketball team
- Poor shooting hurts West Allis Hale girls basketball team in loss to Nicolet
- Lee, Conroy lead West Allis Central girls basketball squad
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Greenfield, Whitnall football teams make big strides in coaches' second seasons
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team looking for winning season
- Greenfield's Claudia Kirkpatrick sets school record at state swimming meet
- Boys soccer: West Allis Hale's Sykes, Mesich named Greater Metro first-team in soccer (1)
- Girls swimming: West Allis diver Maggie Pomerenke qualifies for state swimming meet