West Allis - A new head coach will lead the West Allis Hale boys basketball team in its continuing quest for a Greater Metro Conference victory.
John Palesse takes over for Kenny Bosch, who presided over five non-conference triumphs last season as Hale finished 5-18.
The Huskies made some strides a year ago, and Palesse is hoping to build upon that, including Hale's first GMC triumph in four seasons.
"We have to learn how to win," Palesse said. "We have played well for three quarters but cannot finish the game."
He said if the Huskies can improve on defense, they will start winning conference games.
Hale returns a pair of all-GMC players in 6-foot, 1-inch senior forward Travis Balcerzak and 6-0 senior forward Derrick Waller. Balcerzak averaged 13.5 points last season, while Waller put in 11 per contest.
Balcerzak made second-team all-conference, while Waller earned honorable mention. Both are in their third varsity seasons.
Another veteran is 6-1 senior forward/guard Nick Sotiros, who is in his fourth season on varsity and should provide leadership on both offense and defense.
Other seniors are point guard Peter Heal, Steve Acker, Jacob Geiger, post player Arthur Arena and Cole Lampe. Juniors are point guard Noel Crabtree, Devon Kopet, Aaron Cronin, Jordan Riche, Alex Ulrich and Ryan Best.
Palesse said the Huskies have some players with strong varsity experience and some athleticism, and he likes the team's work ethic.
He said Brookfield Central, Sussex Hamilton and Brookfield East are the favorites for the GMC title this season.
Hale begins the season at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 16 at Cudahy. The first conference contest is Dec. 7 against Marquette.
- Whitnall, Nathan Hale, West Allis Central and Greenfield High School Sport Shorts: May 26
- West Allis Sports Notes: May 26
- West Allis Central softball team posts two shutout victories in regular season's final week
- Sport Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 19, 2016
- West Allis Hale track, field invitational falls victim to timing errors
- Sport Shorts: May 12, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 12, 2016
- West Allis Hale boys track and field team claims New Berlin West Invite crown
- Sport Shorts: May 5, 2016