Close did not count for the West Allis Hale baseball team in the 2013 season.
The Huskies finished just 8-19 for the year, but 11 of those losses came by three runs or less. Hale dropped a pair of one-run contests to West Allis Central and another to Greater Metro Conference champion Oak Creek.
"I didn't think we would be as young as we turned out to be," head coach Paul Dooley said. "In the (WIAA) regional game, I started three sophomores, and we also had a freshman starting (Isaiah Mundt)."
Isaiah's older brother Marcel, a senior, was the most consistent player for the Huskies this season.
He batted .443 with 11 extra-base hits, 30 runs scored, 10 runs batted in and 21 stolen bases.
Mundt, who hit safely in 21 games, earned the team's most valuable player honors.
"He is the most instinctive baserunner I have ever seen," Dooley said. "He stole home successfully off a pitcher in the stretch. He was also the best centerfielder I saw all year, after catching all of last season."
Mundt will play baseball at North Central College in Chicago, joining Hale teammate Nick Sotiros at the school.
Sotiros ended his Hale career by posting an earned-run average of around 3.00 as the team's top pitcher and was also among the better hitters on the squad.
Both Mundt and Sotiros made the first all-GMC team this season in the outfield.
Senior Brian Kimpel batted over .400 on the season despite missing 10 games with injury.
The Huskies lose seniors Kimpel, Mundt, Sotiros, Steve Acker, Peter Heal, Tyler Lucchesi and Zach Smith.
Sophomores Alex Elliot and Mials McMurray and junior Sam Michalski are among those returning next season to bolster the pitching staff and lineup.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 11, 2016
- West Allis Central wrestles to second place in Greater Metro Conference Meet
- Sports Notes: Feb. 11, 2016
- West Allis Hale's Sam Schuh tops 1,000 points for her basketball career
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 4, 2016
- Schuh's game-winning shot boosts West Allis Hale girls over Menomonee Falls
- West Allis Central wrestling team downs West Allis Hale, goes unbeaten in Greater Metro dual meets
- Sports Notes: Feb. 4, 2016
- West Allis combined gymnasts capture Menomonee Falls Invitational crown
- Frantic rally gives West Allis Hale boys a sweep of two Greater Metro Conference games