Late rally propels West Allis Hale baseball team past Franklin, 5-4
Huskies finish fifth in GMC race
A victory over Franklin was needed to help the West Allis Hale baseball team improve its seeding in this week's Greater Metro Conference Tournament.
The Huskies came through by tallying three times in the top of the seventh inning to turn a 4-2 deficit into a crucial 5-4 victory on July 5.
The triumph enabled Hale to finish at 8-10 in the GMC and capture the fifth seed in the conference tourney. The Huskies met Menomonee Falls in the first round on July 8.
Hale split with the Indians this season, winning 4-2 and losing 3-2.
A loss to Franklin would have forced Hale to face one of the higher seeds, such as Brookfield Central or Oak Creek, in the opening game.
The Huskies trailed 4-2 going into the seventh against the Sabers but started a rally with singles from Isaiah Mundt and Cameron Holcomb.
Alec Sykes reached on a bunt single and Mundt tallied on a passed ball to draw Hale closer. Holcomb was thrown out at the plate on Jason Palesse's fielder's choice grounder but Sykes came home on a wild pitch to tie the game.
Mials McMurray then grounded out to score Palesse with the lead run.
"That inning was not exciting to watch, unless you were the Hale coach, in which case it was a great time," head coach Paul Dooley said.
Joe Jo Breznik teamed with McMurray and Sam Valona to hold the Sabers to four hits, with Valona notching the victory in relief.
McMurray went 3-for-4 with two runs batted in and Holcomb 2-for-3.
"No one gave up, and we got a big win there," Dooley said.
In the only other game of the week, the Huskies fell to Marquette 8-2 on July 1. Sykes doubled and scored and McMurray allowed one earned run in five innings on the mound.
After the GMC tournament this week, the Huskies will begin WIAA tournament play on Tuesday, July 15.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 4, 2016
- Schuh's game-winning shot boosts West Allis Hale girls over Menomonee Falls
- West Allis Central wrestling team downs West Allis Hale, goes unbeaten in Greater Metro dual meets
- Sports Notes: Feb. 4, 2016
- West Allis combined gymnasts capture Menomonee Falls Invitational crown
- Frantic rally gives West Allis Hale boys a sweep of two Greater Metro Conference games
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 28, 2016
- West Allis Central, Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers finish in top eight at Zelinski Duals
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team overcomes rival West Allis Central
- West Allis Central boys basketball team tips West Allis Hale in overtime thriller