Sam Michalski and Tyler Lucchesi teamed to shut out Wauwatosa East, 8-0, on July 3 in a Greater Metro Conference Tournament contest.
Michalski worked four innings, striking out five and walking two, and Lucchesi finished up with one strikeout in three frames.
The Huskies' big inning was the fifth, when they tallied three runs to go up 5-0. Nate Gryzbowski singled, Nick Sotiros doubled and Alex Elliot walked to load the bases.
Michalski singled in one run and two others came in on a double play and a passed ball as Hale took command of the game.
Elliot finished 2-for-3 with two runs batted in, while Sotiros was 2-for-2 and Michalski and Marcel Mundt each brought in one run.
Hale opened the tournament on July 2 with a 3-2 loss to rival West Allis Central. Steve Acker and Sotiros drove in the two runs and Sotiros pitched a solid six innings, allowing six hits and fanning two hitters.
The Huskies lost to Menomonee Falls, 13-3, on Friday in the final GMC Tournament game.
Peter Heal went 2-for-2 for Hale, which totaled six hits and committed three errors. A trio of pitchers allowed 15 hits.
The Huskies finished the regular season at 8-18 and opened WIAA regional play on Tuesday at South Milwaukee.
If they won, they would visit top seed and defending state champion Oak Creek at 5:30 p.m. Friday at Abendschein Park in Oak Creek in a regional championship game.
The winner goes to Whitnall High School at 11 a.m. Monday for a sectional semifinal contest, and the title game is at 5 p.m. that day at Whitnall.
— John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015
- Late 3-point shot by Tosa East sends West Allis Central to tough loss
- West Allis Central girls nip Greenfield in battle of resurgent teams
- Greenfield wrestlers take second, West Allis Hale fifth in Bauer Brawl
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 8, 2014
- Greenfield girls basketball team claims West Allis Hale tourney crown
- West Allis Hale girls rally past Central in city clash, 53-42
- Sport Shorts: Dec. 25, 2014
- Local wrestling teams all shine in annual Stech Invitational Tourney
- West Allis Hale boys pull away from Central to notch 73-58 triumph