Sam Michalski and Tyler Lucchesi teamed to shut out Wauwatosa East, 8-0, on July 3 in a Greater Metro Conference Tournament contest.
Michalski worked four innings, striking out five and walking two, and Lucchesi finished up with one strikeout in three frames.
The Huskies' big inning was the fifth, when they tallied three runs to go up 5-0. Nate Gryzbowski singled, Nick Sotiros doubled and Alex Elliot walked to load the bases.
Michalski singled in one run and two others came in on a double play and a passed ball as Hale took command of the game.
Elliot finished 2-for-3 with two runs batted in, while Sotiros was 2-for-2 and Michalski and Marcel Mundt each brought in one run.
Hale opened the tournament on July 2 with a 3-2 loss to rival West Allis Central. Steve Acker and Sotiros drove in the two runs and Sotiros pitched a solid six innings, allowing six hits and fanning two hitters.
The Huskies lost to Menomonee Falls, 13-3, on Friday in the final GMC Tournament game.
Peter Heal went 2-for-2 for Hale, which totaled six hits and committed three errors. A trio of pitchers allowed 15 hits.
The Huskies finished the regular season at 8-18 and opened WIAA regional play on Tuesday at South Milwaukee.
If they won, they would visit top seed and defending state champion Oak Creek at 5:30 p.m. Friday at Abendschein Park in Oak Creek in a regional championship game.
The winner goes to Whitnall High School at 11 a.m. Monday for a sectional semifinal contest, and the title game is at 5 p.m. that day at Whitnall.
— John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Boys basketball: Case's scoring burst ends Central's season
- Central's White, Choinski snare state wrestling titles
- Hale's Wanta captures third at state wrestling
- Sports Shorts: March 6
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central boys survive Looney's huge output
- West Allis Central puts five in state wrestling meet
- Whitnall's Monty reaches state wrestling meet
- West Allis Hale wrestling trio advances to state meet
- Sports Shorts: Feb. 27
- Brookfield Central's LaChance ties single-game conference scoring mark