West Allis-During his football career at West Allis Hale High School, Alex Schwab performed well at summer camps and attracted the interest of some high-profile colleges.
This week, Schwab made his decision for football at the next level.
He will accept a full scholarship offer from Southeast Missouri State University, an NCAA Division 1-AA school in Cape Girardeau and a member of the Ohio Valley Conference.
"It is a Division 1 program, which is exciting," Schwab said. "I loved the campus on my visit, and I like the coaching staff and the people there. Cape Girardeau is a cool city, too, and it is just about a six-hour drive to Missouri. This was just a good fit for me."
Schwab, who made the 2012 NOW Newspapers All-Suburban Team at linebacker, had also considered Eastern Illinois, Minnesota-Duluth and Drake and gave some thought to walking on at the University of Minnesota.
He plans to major in finance and marketing with an eye toward a career in business.
In 2012, he collected 58 solo tackles, 23 assisted tackles and 12 tackles for loss for the Huskies. He also chipped in with two sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and two recovered fumbles, generally causing all kinds of havoc for opposing offenses.
Schwab's decision also sets up an interesting coincidence - the Southeast Missouri State head coach is Joel Beard, who was a teammate of Hale head coach Brandon Ehret at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.
Ehret could have a reunion with Beard this week if the Southeast Missouri coach decides to attend Schwab's signing, the time of which was undecided as of press time.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale's Ron Kurtz crosses finish line of coaching career
- Losses continue for competitive West Allis Central baseball team
- Long before NBA draft, Looney leaves impression on West Allis Central coach
- West Allis Hale baseball team starts poorly but finishes week strongly
- West Allis Hale makes move up Greater Metro Conference ladder with three victories
- West Allis Nighthawks break loose on offense, hammer Grafton
- Greenfield baseball team blanks Pius XI 1-0 in contest at Miller Park
- West Allis Hale's Scherer claims medal in pole vault at state track meet
- Sport Shorts: June 4, 2015
- Criswell paces West Allis Central boys state track contingent