West Allis-During his football career at West Allis Hale High School, Alex Schwab performed well at summer camps and attracted the interest of some high-profile colleges.
This week, Schwab made his decision for football at the next level.
He will accept a full scholarship offer from Southeast Missouri State University, an NCAA Division 1-AA school in Cape Girardeau and a member of the Ohio Valley Conference.
"It is a Division 1 program, which is exciting," Schwab said. "I loved the campus on my visit, and I like the coaching staff and the people there. Cape Girardeau is a cool city, too, and it is just about a six-hour drive to Missouri. This was just a good fit for me."
Schwab, who made the 2012 NOW Newspapers All-Suburban Team at linebacker, had also considered Eastern Illinois, Minnesota-Duluth and Drake and gave some thought to walking on at the University of Minnesota.
He plans to major in finance and marketing with an eye toward a career in business.
In 2012, he collected 58 solo tackles, 23 assisted tackles and 12 tackles for loss for the Huskies. He also chipped in with two sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and two recovered fumbles, generally causing all kinds of havoc for opposing offenses.
Schwab's decision also sets up an interesting coincidence - the Southeast Missouri State head coach is Joel Beard, who was a teammate of Hale head coach Brandon Ehret at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.
Ehret could have a reunion with Beard this week if the Southeast Missouri coach decides to attend Schwab's signing, the time of which was undecided as of press time.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Oct, 23, 2014 issue
- West Allis Hale closes out football season with 35-7 loss to Lancers
- West Allis Hale runners place fourth in GMC among some elite company
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- West Allis Hale cross country teams surge to second at Waterford
- West Allis Central boys soccer team posts first victory of season
- High-powered offense boosts West Allis Hale football team over East
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 9, 2014 issue