West Allis - Any time a team can finish near the top of a large and prestigious tournament field, its coach has to be pleased.
Such was the case for West Allis Hale wrestling coach Randy Ferrell after his team came in 11th with 163 points in the 59-team Oshkosh Lourdes On The Water Tournament last weekend.
The event, which was won by Coleman with 278 1/2 points, included some of the top programs in the state.
"This was a great tournament for the Huskies," Ferrell said. "I was excited to see our guys stepping up to meet challenges head-on. We had eight guys make the second day and six receive medals."
Dallas Wanta earned the highest finish with fifth place at 220 pounds. Wanta (21-2 on the season) went 7-2 for the tournament, tipping Matt Bjork of West De Pere, 3-1, in overtime in the fifth-place match.
Heavyweight Ryan Vankerkvoorde (18-4) captured eighth place in his bracket with a 5-3 record.
Taking ninth were Trevor Kruzick at 113 pounds (5-2 for the tournament, 18-3 overall) and Jake Gruichich at 152 pounds (6-2, 16-6).
Andrew Buelow snared 11th at 182 pounds (6-3, 10-5) and Luke Ellis took 12th place at 120 (4-4, 13-6).
Wanta had come to the tournament unbeaten, while Vankerkvoorde and Kruzick each had only one loss.
Also competing were Jeffery Schubert at 126, Josh Petrovich at 138, Maurice Beck at 145, Taylor Tomczak at 160, Logan Mocco at 170 and Jordan Plantiko at 195.
"I was pleased with our placement as a team and am looking forward to see how this group continues to progress," Ferrell said.
The Huskies next welcome Brookfield East at 7:30 p.m. Thursday. Ferrell said all alumni of the Hale program are invited back to be recognized before the dual.
Hale then hosts an invitational at 9 a.m. Saturday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale boys basketball team hopes to build on 2013-14 state run
- West Allis Hale boys cross country team announces season awards
- Hot-shooting West Allis Hale girls roll past Lutheran in season opener
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team hoping for breakthrough season
- West Allis divers perform well in WIAA Division 1 sectional action
- West Allis Hale boys volleyball team ousted from tourney by Spartans
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 6, 2014
- Hale cross country runners Nelson and Mihaljevic head to state
- Sport Shorts: Oct, 23, 2014 issue
- West Allis Hale closes out football season with 35-7 loss to Lancers