West Allis — Lauren Hibbard, a 6-foot-2-inch senior post player for the West Allis Central girls basketball team, signed her national letter of intent to attend Loyola University of Chicago on Nov. 11.
The Bulldogs' most valuable player last season, Hibbard averaged a double-double with 14.1 points and 10.1 rebounds per game. She also blocked 3.4 shots per game en route to earning a spot on the all-Greater Metro Conference squad and a place on the NOW All-Suburban Team, just the second Bulldog to make the newspaper's team since 1996.
"Lauren is a strong, athletic post player," Loyola coach Eric Simpson said in a news release. "At 6-2, she has the size and strength to ably defend and rebound in the low post. She is adept at scoring with either hand around the basket and her speed and mobility will allow her to excel in transition and at the high post.
"It is a great feeling to welcome Lauren to the Loyola family."
Hibbard joined forward Troy Hambric (Detroit) and point guard Lyndsey Booker (Farmington Hills, Mich.) in signing early with the Ramblers.
"Our staff is optimistic that Loyola's 2010 recruiting class possesses the basketball skill, athleticism and the intangible qualities to help establish a winning basketball program," Simpson added in the release.
Loyola plays in the Horizon League. Last season, the Ramblers went 9-21 overall. Former Kenosha Tremper star guard Lindsey Sebetic is a sophomore and the only Wisconsin player on the current roster.
Hibbard is the second premier basketball player from the NOW coverage area to sign with Loyola in the past two seasons. Two-time boys NOW All-Suburban player of the year Ben Averkamp of Germantown did so last season.
Hibbard and the Bulldogs, who went 14-8 overall last season and placed third in the GMC, begin the 2009-10 season Nov. 28 at West Bend West.
- David Cotey
- Football coaches react to suspension of West Allis Central-West Allis Hale rivalry (1)
- Sport Shorts: April 28, 2016
- Sports Notes: April 28, 2016
- Sport Shorts: April 21, 2016
- West Allis Hale's Miller earns a pair of seconds at home Mondo Invitational
- Sports Notes: April 21, 2016
- West Allis Hale boys golf squad opens season with victory at New Berlin West Quadrangular
- Sport Shorts: April 14, 2016
- Sports Notes: April 14, 2016
- Whitnall's Bauer outduels Greenfield's Matthias in 1-0 softball victory