West Allis — The West Allis Central Bulldogs cross country team capped the season with a pair of history-making runs at the WIAA Division 1 Cross Country Meet at Ridges Golf Course in Wisconsin Rapids on Saturday.
Junior Alex Gonzales' 47th-place effort of 16 minutes, 55.9 seconds was the Bulldogs' boys team best finish since 2004, when Chris Gundersen ran 55th. Twenty-four of the 46 people that finished ahead of Gonzales were seniors.
Gonzales' state run was the first for the Bulldogs in two seasons.
For the girls, sophomore Abigail Pranghofer finished 102nd in 16:14.3. It was West Allis Central's first appearance by female runner since Natalie Tofte ran 15th at the state meet in 2000.
- David Cotey
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Soccer recap: West Allis Hale beats Central in girls soccer rivalry game
- West Allis Central boys track and field wins nine events to take second
- Sports Shorts: April 24
- Veterans give optimism to West Allis Hale softball
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Central snaps softball losing streak
- West Allis Central's Brent Hunter, Josh Boeder star for track and field team
- Sports Shorts: April 10
- West Allis Central, Hale girls track and field teams finish in middle of pack
- West Allis Central's Key led Bulldogs' resurgence