West Allis — The West Allis Central Bulldogs cross country team capped the season with a pair of history-making runs at the WIAA Division 1 Cross Country Meet at Ridges Golf Course in Wisconsin Rapids on Saturday.
Junior Alex Gonzales' 47th-place effort of 16 minutes, 55.9 seconds was the Bulldogs' boys team best finish since 2004, when Chris Gundersen ran 55th. Twenty-four of the 46 people that finished ahead of Gonzales were seniors.
Gonzales' state run was the first for the Bulldogs in two seasons.
For the girls, sophomore Abigail Pranghofer finished 102nd in 16:14.3. It was West Allis Central's first appearance by female runner since Natalie Tofte ran 15th at the state meet in 2000.
- David Cotey
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Boys basketball: Case's scoring burst ends Central's season
- Central's White, Choinski snare state wrestling titles
- Hale's Wanta captures third at state wrestling
- Sports Shorts: March 6
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central boys survive Looney's huge output
- West Allis Central puts five in state wrestling meet
- Whitnall's Monty reaches state wrestling meet
- West Allis Hale wrestling trio advances to state meet
- Sports Shorts: Feb. 27
- Brookfield Central's LaChance ties single-game conference scoring mark