West Allis — Sophomore quarterback Dan Sotiros and junior fullback Justin Przeracki sparked West Allis Hale to an impressive 48-21 victory over visiting Wauwatosa East on Friday.
Sotiros rushed for 140 yards on 12 carries, including touchdowns of 28, 2 and 30 yards. Przeracki had 159 yards on 16 carries and a 21-yard score.
The Huskies (1-2, 1-0) compiled 540 yards, all but 16 on the ground. They led 28-14 at halftime and outscored the Red Raiders (0-3), 20-7, in the final period.
Because of injuries to his first two quarterbacks, Hale coach Scott Otto turned to Sotiros and was pleased with the way he responded.
"Dan is calm, cool and he is good at learning things. He's a 4.0 student in school," Otto said. "Five weeks ago we knew he could be a fine quarterback, but we did not count on him starting so soon.
"Running a wishbone, doing what we do, the quarterback is the key. I give him credit. He can handle it. He is probably at home right now watching film, breaking things down, doing it by himself."
Sotiros runs behind an offensive line that Otto feels is one of the best that he has had since he took over. From left to right the Huskies line up at 300 pounds, 250, 240, 285 and 300 - right guard Evan Rosa - in that group. That line was also responsible for touchdown runs by Zach Wall (45 yards), Ben Koeppen (34) and Shawn Bansemer (80) against Wauwatosa East.
Defensively, junior cornerback Martin Shaw had a big day with eight tackles.
"He played a fantastic game against a spread team," Otto said.
- Tom "Sky" Skibosh
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 29, 2015
- Whitnall co-op, Central fare well in Zelinski Duals wrestling tourney
- West Allis Hale boys basketball team pulls off trifecta of victories
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015
- Late 3-point shot by Tosa East sends West Allis Central to tough loss
- West Allis Central girls nip Greenfield in battle of resurgent teams
- Greenfield wrestlers take second, West Allis Hale fifth in Bauer Brawl
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 8, 2014
- Greenfield girls basketball team claims West Allis Hale tourney crown
- West Allis Hale girls rally past Central in city clash, 53-42