After trouncing Milwaukee Riverside, 6-1, in a nonconference dual meet April 22, the combined team gave powerful Brookfield East a couple of battles in a 7-0 loss on April 23.
Singles winners against Riverside were John Jackson at the first spot, 6-2, 6-1; Polo Rocha at second, 6-1, 6-4 and Scott Balistrieri at fourth, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2.
Doubles winners were Tyler Zajdel and Ben Reuteler at first, 6-3, 6-3; J.J. Saugstad and Mike Boey at second, 6-3, 4-6, (13-11); and Steve Beshensky and Matt Kalmunson at third, 6-0, 6-0.
Against East, Rocha dropped a tough 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-2 decision and Ryan Pederson fell at third singles, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
"We were competitive, especially on the singles side," coach Jesse Chen said. "Those three-setters were close, back-and-forth matches. I was proud of the way our guys battled."
West Allis will visit Delavan-Darien for a doubles tournament Saturday, May 2.
The Hustlin' Hawks dropped a 6-1 dual-meet decision to Whitnall on April 23 in their only action from last week.
The first doubles team of Brad Jacobsen and Cody Murri provided the only victory with a 7-5, 6-4 triumph.
The Hawks slipped to 0-2 in Woodland Conference duals and 1-4 overall. They will play in the Martin Luther Invitational on Friday and Saturday, May 1 and 2.
- John Rech, Staff Writer
Alex Dundas won both of his matches at No. 1 singles as Whitnall beat New Berlin Eisenhower, 4-3, April 22 and Greenfield, 6-1, April 23, in Woodland Conference duals.
Andy Krawczyk won in three sets at No. 2 singles and Kevin Stachowiak in two sets at No. 3. Ian Dupont And Adam Schepker clinched the match with a two-set victory at No. 2 doubles.
- Jerry Karpowicz,
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: April 23, 2015
- Whitnall boys relay teams run to first at Milwaukee Pulaski meet
- West Allis Central boys basketball team overcomes inconsistency to make run to state
- West Allis Hale, West Allis Central boys make upper division in Greater Metro Conference Indoor
- Brandon Key helps unlock West Allis Central boys' basketball potential
- Sam Schuh spurs improvement of West Allis Hale girls basketball team
- Sport Shorts: April 2, 2015
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team celebrates steady improvement in 2014-15
- West Allis Central, Hale finish one-two in Bulldog relays
- West Allis Hale girls track and field team snares third place at Reinhard Relays