Jaquan Martin tallied 17 points to pace a balanced scoring attack as the West Allis Central boys basketball team downed Marquette 75-62 on Friday night.
Following Martin in the scoring column were Ron Turkvan with 15 points, Brandon Key with 14 points and Keith Leavy with 11 points. A total of nine players scored for the Bulldogs.
Central was up 21-19 after one quarter, then outscored the Hilltoppers 23-7 in the second period to go up 44-26 at the half.
The victory boosted the Bulldogs to 5-1 in the Greater Metro Conference, one game behind unbeaten Brookfield Central (6-0).
Those two teams were scheduled to meet on Tuesday evening, but that game was postponed by the extreme cold. It will be made up on Feb. 15 at a time to be determined.
The Bulldogs posted their fifth straight victory and improved to 11-2 overall.
They also dropped Whitnall 71-55 in a non-conference encounter on Jan. 21 behind another balanced scoring effort.
Key tallied 17 points, Martin 16 points, Turkvan 15 points and David Mlachnik nine points for the Bulldogs, who broke open a close game with a 21-13 third quarter.
Central next visits Brookfield East at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 31 and welcomes West Allis Hale for a city rematch at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 4. The Bulldogs beat the Huskies in the first meeting, 67-53.
— John Rech
- Whitnall, Nathan Hale, West Allis Central and Greenfield High School Sport Shorts: May 26
- West Allis Sports Notes: May 26
- West Allis Central softball team posts two shutout victories in regular season's final week
- Sport Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 19, 2016
- West Allis Hale track, field invitational falls victim to timing errors
- Sport Shorts: May 12, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 12, 2016
- West Allis Hale boys track and field team claims New Berlin West Invite crown
- Sport Shorts: May 5, 2016