Jaquan Martin tallied 17 points to pace a balanced scoring attack as the West Allis Central boys basketball team downed Marquette 75-62 on Friday night.
Following Martin in the scoring column were Ron Turkvan with 15 points, Brandon Key with 14 points and Keith Leavy with 11 points. A total of nine players scored for the Bulldogs.
Central was up 21-19 after one quarter, then outscored the Hilltoppers 23-7 in the second period to go up 44-26 at the half.
The victory boosted the Bulldogs to 5-1 in the Greater Metro Conference, one game behind unbeaten Brookfield Central (6-0).
Those two teams were scheduled to meet on Tuesday evening, but that game was postponed by the extreme cold. It will be made up on Feb. 15 at a time to be determined.
The Bulldogs posted their fifth straight victory and improved to 11-2 overall.
They also dropped Whitnall 71-55 in a non-conference encounter on Jan. 21 behind another balanced scoring effort.
Key tallied 17 points, Martin 16 points, Turkvan 15 points and David Mlachnik nine points for the Bulldogs, who broke open a close game with a 21-13 third quarter.
Central next visits Brookfield East at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 31 and welcomes West Allis Hale for a city rematch at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 4. The Bulldogs beat the Huskies in the first meeting, 67-53.
— John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Aug. 27, 2015
- Mistakes hurt West Allis Hale football team in loss to Waterford
- Football: Whitnall pulls off big plays to beat West Allis Central in 2015 football opener (2)
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: West Allis Central Bulldogs
- West Allis Bowmen schedule archery safari shoot for Labor Day weekend
- Sports Notes: Aug. 20, 2015
- New West Allis Central football coach hopes to tune up offense
- Returnees give West Allis Hale football team hope for improvement (1)
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: West Allis Hale Huskies
- Gridiron Guide: Keith Ringelberg stepping up to head coaching spot for West Allis Central football team (1)