Jaquan Martin tallied 17 points to pace a balanced scoring attack as the West Allis Central boys basketball team downed Marquette 75-62 on Friday night.
Following Martin in the scoring column were Ron Turkvan with 15 points, Brandon Key with 14 points and Keith Leavy with 11 points. A total of nine players scored for the Bulldogs.
Central was up 21-19 after one quarter, then outscored the Hilltoppers 23-7 in the second period to go up 44-26 at the half.
The victory boosted the Bulldogs to 5-1 in the Greater Metro Conference, one game behind unbeaten Brookfield Central (6-0).
Those two teams were scheduled to meet on Tuesday evening, but that game was postponed by the extreme cold. It will be made up on Feb. 15 at a time to be determined.
The Bulldogs posted their fifth straight victory and improved to 11-2 overall.
They also dropped Whitnall 71-55 in a non-conference encounter on Jan. 21 behind another balanced scoring effort.
Key tallied 17 points, Martin 16 points, Turkvan 15 points and David Mlachnik nine points for the Bulldogs, who broke open a close game with a 21-13 third quarter.
Central next visits Brookfield East at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 31 and welcomes West Allis Hale for a city rematch at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 4. The Bulldogs beat the Huskies in the first meeting, 67-53.
— John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale boys basketball team boasts strong shooting, athleticism in 2015-16
- Depth promises to be a strength for West Allis Central boys basketball team
- Poor shooting hurts West Allis Hale girls basketball team in loss to Nicolet
- Lee, Conroy lead West Allis Central girls basketball squad
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Greenfield, Whitnall football teams make big strides in coaches' second seasons
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team looking for winning season
- Greenfield's Claudia Kirkpatrick sets school record at state swimming meet
- Boys soccer: West Allis Hale's Sykes, Mesich named Greater Metro first-team in soccer (1)
- Girls swimming: West Allis diver Maggie Pomerenke qualifies for state swimming meet