The 2013 season brought some success to both the West Allis Hale and West Allis Central boys soccer teams.
The Huskies closed the regular season with a 3-0 triumph over Wauwatosa East on Oct. 8, giving them a respectable 3-4 record in the Greater Metro Conference, which is always rugged from top to bottom and features perennial powerhouses such as Marquette, Brookfield East and Brookfield Central.
Hale also beat state-ranked Menomonee Falls this season and finished above .500 overall at 11-8-1.
"We had an up-and-down kind of season," head coach Neil Dombrowski said. "We're a young team that's struggling to find some consistency. Falls was a big win for us."
Central wound up with six victories at 6-12 after posting a total of just eight triumphs over the past three seasons.
Head coach Ed Hahn said this year's team has experience to go with a strong work ethic and has improved steadily over the course of the season.
Scoring for Hale against Tosa East were Josh Burke in the ninth minute, Bobby Saskowski in the 19th minute and Alex Sykes in the 73rd minute.
The Huskies also finished ahead of Tosa East in the GMC standings, as the Red Raiders were 2-4-1.
Central lost its three games last week, falling to Greendale 7-2 on Friday night, St. Anthony 4-1 on Oct. 10 and Brookfield Central 6-1 on Oct. 8.
Tony McCutchin and Edgar Perez both tallied for the Bulldogs against Greendale. The goals came in the first seven minutes as Central took a 2-0 lead before the Panthers answered.
Diego Perez made 14 saves for Central.
Dan Gaytan tallied the lone goal against St. Anthony, the defending WIAA Division 3 champion. Gaytan was assisted by Mike Manlick.
Eric Owens scored with help from Manlick against Brookfield Central in the Oct. 8 contest.
"They (the Lancers) scored a couple of late goals," Hahn said. "The game was actually quite competitive."
Hale and Central began WIAA Division 1 regional play Oct. 15.
If the Huskies won, they would likely play at top seed Kettle Moraine Oct. 17.
If the Bulldogs won their Oct. 15 game, they would take on either Madison LaFollette or Madison East on Oct. 17.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: May 21, 2015
- West Allis Central's Criswell, Hunter both win two events at West Allis Hale Invitational
- West Allis Hale's Tomlin, Central's Schultz, Whitnall's Bickerstaff all win at Hale
- Whitnall boys golf team captures first in Woodland Conference East Division standings
- Sport Shorts: May 14, 2015
- West Allis Hale boys track team wins six events, team championship at New Berlin West
- Sport Shorts: May 7, 2015
- West Allis Central boys track team secures third at Wauwatosa Invitational
- Greenfield girls soccer team blanks two opponents after tough loss to Greendale
- Relay team, Hunter win events for West Allis Central boys track and field team