The season is off to a good start for the two West Allis boys soccer teams.
West Allis Hale won both of its contests last week, blanking Waukesha South 2-0 on Aug. 20 at Wright Middle School and tipping New Berlin West 2-1 on Friday.
West Allis Central earned a split of its two games, posting a 2-1 triumph over Cudahy/St. Francis on Aug. 22. The Bulldogs dropped their other game last week, a 4-2 decision at the hands of Union Grove on Aug. 20.
For Hale, in its second season under head coach Neil Dombrowski, Alex Sykes tallied all four goals for the week.
Sykes took two assists from Kevin Mesich in the victory over New Berlin West. His first goal came at 27 minutes and his second in the 41st minute.
The Vikings tallied their lone goal shortly after that but could not come up with the tying score.
Against Waukesha South, Sykes scored with an assist from Bobby Saskowski at the 23rd minute and added his second goal, helped by Kevin Rodriguez, in the second half.
Central used a pair of goals from senior Mike Manlick to beat Cudahy/St. Francis. Manlick tallied his first goal with an assist from Eric Owens in the 31st minute.
Cudahy/St. Francis tied it early in the second half, but Manlick took a pass from Edgar Perez for the winning goal. Senior goaltender Matt Medcalf made four saves in the contest.
Scoring against Union Grove were Manlick and senior Dan Koeffler.
"We are an older team this season," head coach Ed Hahn said. "We have more seniors this season than last year, and we should be better than last year. We also have a few guys who are returning to the team after taking off last year."
Hale plays in the New Berlin Eisenhower Tournament this weekend, while Central welcomes the Milwaukee School of Languages at 4:30 p.m. Aug. 29.
The two teams then meet in their annual clash at 7 p.m. Sept. 3 at Hale.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 29, 2015
- Whitnall co-op, Central fare well in Zelinski Duals wrestling tourney
- West Allis Hale boys basketball team pulls off trifecta of victories
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015
- Late 3-point shot by Tosa East sends West Allis Central to tough loss
- West Allis Central girls nip Greenfield in battle of resurgent teams
- Greenfield wrestlers take second, West Allis Hale fifth in Bauer Brawl
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 8, 2014
- Greenfield girls basketball team claims West Allis Hale tourney crown
- West Allis Hale girls rally past Central in city clash, 53-42