Senior Emily Fuchs of West Allis is returning to the WIAA Division 1 State Gymnastics Meet this weekend.
Fuchs, who placed sixth in the all-around, second in the vaulting and fifth on the balance beam in last season's state meet, qualified for this season's event at Wisconsin Rapids with her performances in a sectional meet on Saturday at Hartland Arrowhead.
She came in second in the all-around at the sectional with 35.85 points, trailing only champion Brittany Emond of Homestead (36.375 points).
Fuchs won the vaulting with 9.375 points and tied for fourth on the balance beam with 8.925 points, advancing to state in both events.
Also at the sectional, she tied for eighth on the uneven parallel bars (8.6) and took 12th in floor exercise (8.95).
Freshman Sydnee Tomczak placed eighth in floor (9.0) and 12th on the bars (8.4), coming in 10th in the all-around (33.8).
Also on beam, Tomczak was 20th (8.175), sophomore Haley Gagliano 23rd (8.05) and freshman Maggie Pomerenke 30th (6.925); on floor, Gagliano was 17th (8.65); on bars, Gagliano took 27th (7.55); and in vaulting, senior Kori Huddleston placed 16th (8.6), Gagliano 24th (8.3) and Tomczak 27th (8.225).
West Allis finished sixth in the meet with 132 points. The top two team spots were taken by Homestead (141.575) and Hartland Arrowhead (140.35).
- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale girls basketball will pick up the pace
- Sports Shorts: Dec. 5
- Staying healthy will be key for Franklin girls basketball team
- West Allis Hale's Riche dropped runners, topped records
- West Allis Central boys basketball nipped by Arrowhead
- West Allis Central boys basketball looks to ace chemistry
- Poor start hurts West Allis Hale boys basketball in opener
- West Allis Hale looks to continue boys basketball improvement
- West Allis girls swimmers finish pool season strong
- Greenfield, Whitnall, West Allis football teams struggled