West Allis Central wrestlers hoping to make mark in GMC
Bulldogs lost only to Huskies, Indians
West Allis - Jon Nelson, Central's wrestling coach, has a message for anyone focusing solely on Hale and Menomonee Falls at Friday's Greater Metro Conference Tournament:
Don't forget about the Bulldogs.
Central downed Brookfield East, 40-34, in a GMC dual meet Jan. 24 behind five pins and finished third behind the Huskies (6-0) and Indians (5-1) in conference duals this season.
The Bulldogs lost to Hale, 42-23, in December and to Falls, 40-25, in mid-January.
"We are planning on contending with Falls and Hale for the championship," said Nelson, who plans to shift his lineup a bit for the tournament. "We beat Brookfield East, even though it wasn't our best wrestling."
Recording pins for Central were Tere White at 113 pounds in 2 minutes, 36 seconds; Jose Ramos at 126 pounds in 5:33, Alan Silva at 132 in 5:25, Dylan Diebitz at 170 pounds in 3:25 and Jason Alvarez at 182 pounds in 3:56.
The Bulldogs also placed fifth in the prestigious E.H. Stech Invitational and won the South Milwaukee Duals this season.
They will take on Hale, Falls and all other comers at the GMC Tournament, which begins at 3:30 p.m. Friday at Marquette High School.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Central, Hale finish one-two in Bulldog relays
- West Allis Hale girls track and field team snares third place at Reinhard Relays
- Former West Allis Central wrestling coach Ed Stech dies at 85
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central sees WIAA tournament run end at hands of powerful Stevens Point
- Resilient West Allis Central boys keep coming back from adversity
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team makes strides in 2014-15
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central's crazy run to state complete with victory over Marquette
- West Allis Central boys capture WIAA Division 1 regional championship
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central boys use big fourth quarter to down West Allis Hale in WIAA regional
- Sport Shorts: March 5, 2015