West Allis Central wrestling team rounding into top form
Choinski's return helps Bulldogs
West Allis - As the tournament portion of the wrestling season looms, West Allis Central is looking stronger.
Not only are the wrestlers improving in their techniques, but Mark Choinski returned to the lineup after becoming eligible last week.
"He is one of our stud wrestlers," head coach Jon Nelson said, "and he is now back for the rest of the year. I am excited to see how he does."
Choinski, who competed in a WIAA Division 1 sectional last season, is off to a good start. He went 5-0 at 138 pounds as the Bulldogs won Saturday's South Milwaukee Duals.
Choinski was one of five Central wrestlers to put together perfect afternoons at South Milwaukee. The others were Jose Ramos at 126, Alan Silva at 132, Tong Vang at 195 and Dylan Diebitz at 170.
Diebitz remains unbeaten on the season and, although he has competed at 170 for the most part, Nelson said he will drop to 160 for the WIAA tournament series next month.
Going 4-1 for the Bulldogs at South Milwaukee were Tere White at 120 pounds and Tyus White at 106 pounds.
One of Central's five victories at the South Milwaukee Duals came over Greenfield by a 55-18 count. Winners there were Tyus White (forfeit), Alex Gamache at 113 (9-7 decision), Tere White (17-1), Ramos (pin in 4 minutes, 20 seconds), Silva (pin in 4:23), Choinski (16-1), Diebitz (pin in 2:51), Jason Alvarez (pin in 3:32), Vang (10-4), Bobby Reyes at 220 (pin in 3:26) and Robert Torres at heavyweight (5-4).
Central also downed Marquette, 62-13, in a Greater Metro Conference dual meet on Jan. 10. Posting pins were Tyus White (106), Ramos (126), Choinski (138), Brandon Driessen (160), Alvarez (182) and Vang (220).
Silva picked up his third defeat of the season with a 3-0 decision at the hands of unbeaten Gabe Grahek.
"We were hoping Gabe would bump up to wrestle Choinski," Nelson said, "but he didn't."
Nelson feels good about his team at this point in the campaign.
"Our end of the year lineup is looking a lot different and a lot better than it started in the beginning of the year," he said.
The Bulldogs will welcome Menomonee Falls for a GMC dual at 7:30 p.m. Thursday on Senior Night.
They will then compete in the Zelinski Memorial Duals at 8 a.m. Saturday at Whitnall High School.
- West Allis Hale baseball team experiences tough times during busy week
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016
- West Allis Central baseball team tops West Allis Hale, picks up first victory of season
- West Allis Hale baseball team gets one victory in four tries against GMC foes
- West Allis Hale girls soccer season ends with sectional semifinal loss to Muskego
- West Allis Central baseball team grooming freshman pitchers in 2016
- Greenfield, Whitnall, West Allis Hale and West Allis Central Sport Shorts: June 9, 2016
- Redieske helps lift Whitnall baseball team past New Berlin West to halt losing streak
- West Allis Central's Schultz captures second place in shot put at state meet
- West Allis Hale's Stevens snares seventh in WIAA Division 1 state high jump