West Allis Central wrestling team rounding into top form
Choinski's return helps Bulldogs
West Allis - As the tournament portion of the wrestling season looms, West Allis Central is looking stronger.
Not only are the wrestlers improving in their techniques, but Mark Choinski returned to the lineup after becoming eligible last week.
"He is one of our stud wrestlers," head coach Jon Nelson said, "and he is now back for the rest of the year. I am excited to see how he does."
Choinski, who competed in a WIAA Division 1 sectional last season, is off to a good start. He went 5-0 at 138 pounds as the Bulldogs won Saturday's South Milwaukee Duals.
Choinski was one of five Central wrestlers to put together perfect afternoons at South Milwaukee. The others were Jose Ramos at 126, Alan Silva at 132, Tong Vang at 195 and Dylan Diebitz at 170.
Diebitz remains unbeaten on the season and, although he has competed at 170 for the most part, Nelson said he will drop to 160 for the WIAA tournament series next month.
Going 4-1 for the Bulldogs at South Milwaukee were Tere White at 120 pounds and Tyus White at 106 pounds.
One of Central's five victories at the South Milwaukee Duals came over Greenfield by a 55-18 count. Winners there were Tyus White (forfeit), Alex Gamache at 113 (9-7 decision), Tere White (17-1), Ramos (pin in 4 minutes, 20 seconds), Silva (pin in 4:23), Choinski (16-1), Diebitz (pin in 2:51), Jason Alvarez (pin in 3:32), Vang (10-4), Bobby Reyes at 220 (pin in 3:26) and Robert Torres at heavyweight (5-4).
Central also downed Marquette, 62-13, in a Greater Metro Conference dual meet on Jan. 10. Posting pins were Tyus White (106), Ramos (126), Choinski (138), Brandon Driessen (160), Alvarez (182) and Vang (220).
Silva picked up his third defeat of the season with a 3-0 decision at the hands of unbeaten Gabe Grahek.
"We were hoping Gabe would bump up to wrestle Choinski," Nelson said, "but he didn't."
Nelson feels good about his team at this point in the campaign.
"Our end of the year lineup is looking a lot different and a lot better than it started in the beginning of the year," he said.
The Bulldogs will welcome Menomonee Falls for a GMC dual at 7:30 p.m. Thursday on Senior Night.
They will then compete in the Zelinski Memorial Duals at 8 a.m. Saturday at Whitnall High School.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Central baseball squad made some strides in 2014 season
- West Allis Nighthawks get split, share Lakes East lead with New Berlin
- Oak Creek's big rally knocks West Allis Hale out of baseball playoffs
- Mials McMurray, West Allis Hale pull away from Bulldogs in regional
- Baseball: Oak Creek baseball team rallies big
- Baseball: Hale breaks spell with four-run sixth to top West Allis Central
- Hale baseball team downs Central to pull out GMC tournament victory
- Central baseball team wins two, breaks into double digits in victories
- Muskego Hitmen semipro football team opens home season July 19
- Falls baseball team advances on RBI single by Johnson in seventh