West Allis boys swimmers looking for fast finish to season
Wave takes ninth in conference relays
West Allis - New West Allis boys swimming head coach Matt Kopp is hoping, with the holiday break now over, his team can focus on a strong finish to the season.
The Wave finished ninth with 61 points in the Classic 8/Greater Metro Conference Relays at Menomonee Falls on Jan. 3, but Kopp said his team is just rounding back into form.
"The season started out with some great efforts by the swimmers, and it shows in how much time they are dropping from week to week," Kopp said. "The conference relays were a wake-up call for the team. With so many swimmers gone over winter break practices, it was a tough first meet back, but I believe it inspired the team and myself to put in just that much more effort."
West Allis won the diving at the relays with 299.95 points, but the next-highest finish was seventh by two teams.
They were the 400 individual medley unit of junior Mike Manlick, sophomore Matt Montalvo, junior Dylan Wojtkowski and junior Dale Medved in 5 minutes, 6.50 seconds and the 400 freestyle group of Wojtkowski, junior Joel Rosa, senior Nate Pavek and junior Sam Michalski with 4:07.95.
Finishing eighth were senior Maruf Marajsbor, Wojtkowski, Manlick and Medved in the 300 backstroke (3:36.3); Marajsbor, junior Dave Heer, Montalvo and Manlick in the 300 breast stroke (4:10.48); and Medved, Heer, Pavek and Michalski in the 200 medley (2:04.79).
"As we move forward, I hope that the drive and competition on the team continues for each and every spot on the relays," Kopp said. "That is how we as a team will become stronger both together and individually.
"The push at the end to make state cuts in a handful of events will be nerve-racking."
The Wave welcomes Menomonee Falls at 6 p.m. Jan. 10 in a conference dual meet at Central. Diving will be at 4:30 p.m. at West Allis Hale.
- West Allis Hale baseball team experiences tough times during busy week
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016
- West Allis Central baseball team tops West Allis Hale, picks up first victory of season
- West Allis Hale baseball team gets one victory in four tries against GMC foes
- West Allis Hale girls soccer season ends with sectional semifinal loss to Muskego
- West Allis Central baseball team grooming freshman pitchers in 2016
- Greenfield, Whitnall, West Allis Hale and West Allis Central Sport Shorts: June 9, 2016
- Redieske helps lift Whitnall baseball team past New Berlin West to halt losing streak
- West Allis Central's Schultz captures second place in shot put at state meet
- West Allis Hale's Stevens snares seventh in WIAA Division 1 state high jump