West Allis - As the 2012-13 season progresses, the West Allis gymnastics team should become stronger and stronger.
"A lot of the girls did not do club in the off-season," head coach John Glass said, "so we have some of the girls trying to get in gymnastics shape. They are coming along, and our scores will continue to go up throughout the season. My hope is that we score that 141 points needed to maybe make it to state."
Also, the team is without the injured senior Emily Fuchs, who qualified for last season's WIAA Division 1 State Meet. She finished sixth in the all-around while taking second in vaulting and fifth on the balance beam.
Fuchs is not expected to return until late this season.
"Once we get Emily back and (the other girls') routines start to come together, we're expecting things to come into place," Glass said.
West Allis lost its first two dual meets of the season, falling to defending Division 2 state champion Whitefish Bay, 129 points to 122 points, on Dec. 6 and to Grafton-Cedarburg, 128.75 points to 117.4, on Dec. 12.
"We're trying things out, but the philosophy I've had throughout my tenure at West Allis is that I'm aiming for the end of the season," Glass said. "You'd like to win and do well in the beginning meets, but we really are putting in skills that should be coming together by the end of the season."
The top gymnasts at this point are senior captain Cory Huddleston, sophomore Hailey Gagliano and freshmen Maggie Pomerenke and Sydnee Thomzak.
Glass said the team is probably strongest in floor exercise at this time.
West Allis is off until Jan. 9, when it hosts Menomonee Falls/Germantown in a dual.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- West Allis Hale cross country teams surge to second at Waterford
- West Allis Central boys soccer team posts first victory of season
- High-powered offense boosts West Allis Hale football team over East
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 9, 2014 issue
- West Allis Hale girls run to second at Mukwonago CC Invitational
- Missed opportunities cost West Allis Hale in loss to Sussex Hamilton
- West Allis Hale boys CC team comes in third at Burlington invite