West Allis - A veteran West Allis Central wrestling team is off to a 5-1 start in dual meets.
The Bulldogs opened the 2012-13 season with a 45-29 victory over Muskego on Nov. 29, then won four of five meets at the Tom Manley Duals in East Troy on Saturday, claiming second place in the event.
"We have a solid lineup, and everyone is working hard," head coach Jon Nelson said.
Dylan Diebitz at 170 pounds and Alan Silva at 132 pounds both went unbeaten at 6-0 last week, with Diebitz posting five pins and Silva four pins.
Nelson said other wrestlers to watch this season include Tyus White at 106 (3-3 last week), Tere White at 113 (5-1 with four pins), Mark Choinski, who is out with an injured hamstring and Marc-Anthony Schnepp at 138 (2-1).
Also back from last year's WIAA sectional qualifiers are Jose Ramos (4-2 last week) and Tong Vang (4-2).
At East Troy, Central beat Union Grove, 52-25; Whitnall, 57-12; East Troy, 43-27; and Green Bay West-Southwest, 35-21, before falling to tournament champion Harvard (Ill.), 34-24, in the final dual.
In the Muskego dual, Central winners were Troy Evans at 220 pounds (forfeit), Vang at heavyweight (pin in 56 seconds), Tyus White at 106 (1-0 decision), Tere White at 113 (pin in 1 minute, 17 seconds), Ramos at 126 (pin in 2:54), John Vega at 132 (pin in 2:58), Silva at 138 (pin in 3:41) and Diebitz at 170 (pin in 1:59).
Dropping close decisions were Bobby Reyes at 195 (14-11) and Mike Kooi at 145 (8-4). Also competing for the Bulldogs were Sergey Zelenyak (182), David Anich (120), Dylan Rom (152) and Alexis Elvira (160).
Muskego is in somewhat of a rebuilding process after losing two-time WIAA state champions Jordan Gruettner and Roland Dunlap, but the Warriors are always one of the stronger programs in the area.
The Bulldogs are now off until Dec. 13, when they visit Sussex Hamilton. They will then host the prestigious E.H. Stech Invitational on Dec. 14-15.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team hoping for breakthrough season
- West Allis divers perform well in WIAA Division 1 sectional action
- West Allis Hale boys volleyball team ousted from tourney by Spartans
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 6, 2014
- Hale cross country runners Nelson and Mihaljevic head to state
- Sport Shorts: Oct, 23, 2014 issue
- West Allis Hale closes out football season with 35-7 loss to Lancers
- West Allis Hale runners place fourth in GMC among some elite company
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue