West Allis - A veteran West Allis Central wrestling team is off to a 5-1 start in dual meets.
The Bulldogs opened the 2012-13 season with a 45-29 victory over Muskego on Nov. 29, then won four of five meets at the Tom Manley Duals in East Troy on Saturday, claiming second place in the event.
"We have a solid lineup, and everyone is working hard," head coach Jon Nelson said.
Dylan Diebitz at 170 pounds and Alan Silva at 132 pounds both went unbeaten at 6-0 last week, with Diebitz posting five pins and Silva four pins.
Nelson said other wrestlers to watch this season include Tyus White at 106 (3-3 last week), Tere White at 113 (5-1 with four pins), Mark Choinski, who is out with an injured hamstring and Marc-Anthony Schnepp at 138 (2-1).
Also back from last year's WIAA sectional qualifiers are Jose Ramos (4-2 last week) and Tong Vang (4-2).
At East Troy, Central beat Union Grove, 52-25; Whitnall, 57-12; East Troy, 43-27; and Green Bay West-Southwest, 35-21, before falling to tournament champion Harvard (Ill.), 34-24, in the final dual.
In the Muskego dual, Central winners were Troy Evans at 220 pounds (forfeit), Vang at heavyweight (pin in 56 seconds), Tyus White at 106 (1-0 decision), Tere White at 113 (pin in 1 minute, 17 seconds), Ramos at 126 (pin in 2:54), John Vega at 132 (pin in 2:58), Silva at 138 (pin in 3:41) and Diebitz at 170 (pin in 1:59).
Dropping close decisions were Bobby Reyes at 195 (14-11) and Mike Kooi at 145 (8-4). Also competing for the Bulldogs were Sergey Zelenyak (182), David Anich (120), Dylan Rom (152) and Alexis Elvira (160).
Muskego is in somewhat of a rebuilding process after losing two-time WIAA state champions Jordan Gruettner and Roland Dunlap, but the Warriors are always one of the stronger programs in the area.
The Bulldogs are now off until Dec. 13, when they visit Sussex Hamilton. They will then host the prestigious E.H. Stech Invitational on Dec. 14-15.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Central, Hale finish one-two in Bulldog relays
- West Allis Hale girls track and field team snares third place at Reinhard Relays
- Former West Allis Central wrestling coach Ed Stech dies at 85
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central sees WIAA tournament run end at hands of powerful Stevens Point
- Resilient West Allis Central boys keep coming back from adversity
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team makes strides in 2014-15
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central's crazy run to state complete with victory over Marquette
- West Allis Central boys capture WIAA Division 1 regional championship
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central boys use big fourth quarter to down West Allis Hale in WIAA regional
- Sport Shorts: March 5, 2015