West Allis - A new head coach will lead the West Allis Hale boys basketball team in its continuing quest for a Greater Metro Conference victory.
John Palesse takes over for Kenny Bosch, who presided over five non-conference triumphs last season as Hale finished 5-18.
The Huskies made some strides a year ago, and Palesse is hoping to build upon that, including Hale's first GMC triumph in four seasons.
"We have to learn how to win," Palesse said. "We have played well for three quarters but cannot finish the game."
He said if the Huskies can improve on defense, they will start winning conference games.
Hale returns a pair of all-GMC players in 6-foot, 1-inch senior forward Travis Balcerzak and 6-0 senior forward Derrick Waller. Balcerzak averaged 13.5 points last season, while Waller put in 11 per contest.
Balcerzak made second-team all-conference, while Waller earned honorable mention. Both are in their third varsity seasons.
Another veteran is 6-1 senior forward/guard Nick Sotiros, who is in his fourth season on varsity and should provide leadership on both offense and defense.
Other seniors are point guard Peter Heal, Steve Acker, Jacob Geiger, post player Arthur Arena and Cole Lampe. Juniors are point guard Noel Crabtree, Devon Kopet, Aaron Cronin, Jordan Riche, Alex Ulrich and Ryan Best.
Palesse said the Huskies have some players with strong varsity experience and some athleticism, and he likes the team's work ethic.
He said Brookfield Central, Sussex Hamilton and Brookfield East are the favorites for the GMC title this season.
Hale begins the season at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 16 at Cudahy. The first conference contest is Dec. 7 against Marquette.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video, photos: Skateboarding in West Allis
- West Allis Central graduate inducted into Wisconsin, Indiana swimming halls of fame
- Sports Notes: July 30, 2015
- Strong offensive attack paces competitive West Allis Hale baseball team
- West Allis Hale's McMurray outduels West's Fritz in regional
- West Allis Central falls short of Cudahy in regional championship
- Baseball: Hale nips New Berlin West, 2-1, in regional opener
- Sports Notes: July 16, 2015
- Miscues hurt West Allis Hale baseball team in Greater Metro Conference title game
- West Allis Hale baseball team makes Greater Metro Conference Tournament run