Rodriguez resigns from Central softball program
Coach wanted more family time available
West Allis - As he looks back on his 16 seasons with the West Allis Central softball program, Dax Rodriguez remembers the individual moments, or snapshots, as he calls them.
He recalls the good times, such as his first season of 1998, when his team went from one victory the previous year to 10 triumphs.
He also remembers the unpleasant times, particularly the 2007 season, when both his mother and the father of player Brittini Kompas passed away within just a two-week period.
"That was a really sad time for us," he reflected. "Coaching really helped me through that."
Rodriguez recently decided to resign from the program, having accumulated what he estimates as around 130 victories in his 15 years as head coach after his initial year piloting the junior varsity squad.
His Central teams never won a conference championship, but they did finish second three times, and his 2003 squad reached a WIAA sectional championship contest, which it lost to Kettle Moraine.
He made the decision in order to spend more time with his family, including coaching his 11-year-old son Xander's AAU baseball team this summer and following his 8-year-old daughter Macie's involvement in gymnastics.
He also said he will keep his position as Central's head football coach.
"I felt we had some good years," Rodriguez said about his tenure with the Bulldogs. "The girls learned so much, and they became mentally tough. We had five all-state players over the years. I leave with no regrets."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale boys basketball team boasts strong shooting, athleticism in 2015-16
- Depth promises to be a strength for West Allis Central boys basketball team
- Poor shooting hurts West Allis Hale girls basketball team in loss to Nicolet
- Lee, Conroy lead West Allis Central girls basketball squad
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Greenfield, Whitnall football teams make big strides in coaches' second seasons
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team looking for winning season
- Greenfield's Claudia Kirkpatrick sets school record at state swimming meet
- Boys soccer: West Allis Hale's Sykes, Mesich named Greater Metro first-team in soccer (1)
- Girls swimming: West Allis diver Maggie Pomerenke qualifies for state swimming meet