Rodriguez resigns from Central softball program
Coach wanted more family time available
West Allis - As he looks back on his 16 seasons with the West Allis Central softball program, Dax Rodriguez remembers the individual moments, or snapshots, as he calls them.
He recalls the good times, such as his first season of 1998, when his team went from one victory the previous year to 10 triumphs.
He also remembers the unpleasant times, particularly the 2007 season, when both his mother and the father of player Brittini Kompas passed away within just a two-week period.
"That was a really sad time for us," he reflected. "Coaching really helped me through that."
Rodriguez recently decided to resign from the program, having accumulated what he estimates as around 130 victories in his 15 years as head coach after his initial year piloting the junior varsity squad.
His Central teams never won a conference championship, but they did finish second three times, and his 2003 squad reached a WIAA sectional championship contest, which it lost to Kettle Moraine.
He made the decision in order to spend more time with his family, including coaching his 11-year-old son Xander's AAU baseball team this summer and following his 8-year-old daughter Macie's involvement in gymnastics.
He also said he will keep his position as Central's head football coach.
"I felt we had some good years," Rodriguez said about his tenure with the Bulldogs. "The girls learned so much, and they became mentally tough. We had five all-state players over the years. I leave with no regrets."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video, photos: Skateboarding in West Allis
- West Allis Central graduate inducted into Wisconsin, Indiana swimming halls of fame
- Sports Notes: July 30, 2015
- Strong offensive attack paces competitive West Allis Hale baseball team
- West Allis Hale's McMurray outduels West's Fritz in regional
- West Allis Central falls short of Cudahy in regional championship
- Baseball: Hale nips New Berlin West, 2-1, in regional opener
- Sports Notes: July 16, 2015
- Miscues hurt West Allis Hale baseball team in Greater Metro Conference title game
- West Allis Hale baseball team makes Greater Metro Conference Tournament run