Playoffs: Lost in regional semifinal to Milwaukee Vincent, 50-28
Conference: Greater Metro
Coach: Kenny Bosch
Key returnees: Steve Kopet, sr. (12.7 ppg); Derrick Waller, jr. (10.2 ppg); Travis Balcerzak, jr. (7.1 ppg); Nick Sotiros, jr. (6.1 ppg); Dan Sotiros, sr. (4.7 ppg); Luke Langer, sr. (4.5 ppg)
Key losses: Joey Nowak (5 ppg), Troy Williamson (2.6 ppg)
The Huskies snapped a long losing streak last season with a victory over Cudahy and gained more confidence as the year wore on. Now the top six scorers are back, led by Kopet, who netted 52 3-point goals a year ago, and Waller, an all-around threat whose play keyed the victory over Cudahy. Also, Bosch is now in his second season as head coach, and the players are more familiar with his offensive and defensive systems. "They know what we are trying to do," Bosch said. "We are hitting the ground running a lot faster this season."
1 Kopet and Nick Sotiros are both coming off injuries from earlier this year. Kopet was injured early in the football season, while Sotiros underwent Tommy John surgery on an elbow injury sustained during the baseball season. Bosch said Kopet is back at 100 percent and Sotiros is back practicing as well but will continue to work on his conditioning.
2 The guard positions are in good hands with Kopet, Waller, Balcerzak and Nick Sotiros, with Dan Sotiros taking the point. He is a four-year varsity player and two-year starter, so Hale has plenty of experience. Adding to the mix is senior Nathan Willcomm, a transfer from Union Grove, where he started.
3 The inside game will be led by the veteran Langer, and he will receive help from junior Arthur Arena, junior Steve Acker and senior Steve Deura, who are all about 6 feet, 3 inches. The inside players are not overly tall but do have good athleticism, Bosch said.
Nov. 29 - at St. Francis; Dec. 2 - Brookfield Central; Dec. 9 - at Marquette; Dec. 13 - West Allis Central; Dec. 16 - at Brookfield East; Dec. 20 - Oak Creek; Dec. 29 - Hale Tournament; Dec. 30 - Hale Tournament; Jan. 3 - at Shorewood; Jan. 6 - Wauwatosa East; Jan. 13 - at Sussex Hamilton; Jan. 17 - at Union Grove; Jan. 20 - Menomonee Falls; Jan. 24 - at Brookfield Central; Jan. 27 - Marquette; Jan. 31 - at West Allis Central; Feb. 3 - Brookfield East; Feb. 7 - Cudahy; Feb. 10 - at Wauwatosa East; Feb. 14 - at Delavan-Darien; Feb. 17 - Sussex Hamilton; Feb. 23 - at Menomonee Falls
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale's Ron Kurtz crosses finish line of coaching career
- Losses continue for competitive West Allis Central baseball team
- Long before NBA draft, Looney leaves impression on West Allis Central coach
- West Allis Hale baseball team starts poorly but finishes week strongly
- West Allis Hale makes move up Greater Metro Conference ladder with three victories
- West Allis Nighthawks break loose on offense, hammer Grafton
- Greenfield baseball team blanks Pius XI 1-0 in contest at Miller Park
- West Allis Hale's Scherer claims medal in pole vault at state track meet
- Sport Shorts: June 4, 2015
- Criswell paces West Allis Central boys state track contingent