Playoffs: Lost in WIAA regional final to Milwaukee King, 64-52
Conference: Greater Metro
Coach: David Mlachnik
Key returnees: Jarvis Garrett, jr. (12.3 ppg); Najeal McMillian, sr. (12.3 ppg); Tonnie Collier, sr. (7.4 ppg); Darvell Brown, sr. (5.2 ppg)
Key losses: Anthony Harris (10.5 ppg), Chris Helm (6.1 ppg)
David Mlachnik moves over to the Central boys after coaching the Bulldog girls the past few seasons, taking over for Lou Chapman, who left in June. Mlachnik inherits some solid talent, particularly in Garrett and McMillian, who shared the team scoring lead last season. Mlachnik said ballhandling and rebounding should be strong points, but defense will be the main determining factor in how good the Bulldogs might be. "If we can get after it (on defense)," Mlachnik said, "we could have a real good year."
1 How long will it take Mlachnik and his players to adjust to each other? Sometimes, it takes a while for coaches and players to adapt and work in a new system. Mlachnik does have boys coaching experience, having directed the junior varsity and freshman teams at Milwaukee Vincent and Muskego.
2 Central will need more consistency than last season, when the Bulldogs were up and down. They never won more than two straight games at any point in 2010-11 and only had one two-game winning streak along the way.
3 A player to watch should be freshman guard Brandon Key, who Mlachnik said played well in AAU action. If Key can make contributions, the Bulldogs will be just that much more balanced and thus more dangerous.
Nov. 25 - vs. Madison West at Homestead High School; Nov. 26 - vs. TBA at Homestead High School; Dec. 2 - at Wauwatosa East; Dec. 9 - Sussex Hamilton; Dec. 10 - vs. Nicolet at Homestead High School; Dec. 13 - at West Allis Hale; Dec. 15 - Brookfield Central; Dec. 22 - at Sheboygan South; Jan. 6 - at Marquette; Jan. 13 - at Menomonee Falls; Jan. 17 - at Racine Horlick; Jan. 20 - Brookfield East; Jan. 22 - at Marian Catholic; Jan. 24 - Wauwatosa East; Jan. 27 - at Sussex Hamilton; Jan. 31 - West Allis Hale; Feb. 3 - at Brookfield Central; Feb. 10 - Marquette; Feb. 17 - Menomonee Falls; Feb. 21 - Destiny; Feb. 23 - at Brookfield East
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale boys basketball team boasts strong shooting, athleticism in 2015-16
- Depth promises to be a strength for West Allis Central boys basketball team
- Poor shooting hurts West Allis Hale girls basketball team in loss to Nicolet
- Lee, Conroy lead West Allis Central girls basketball squad
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Greenfield, Whitnall football teams make big strides in coaches' second seasons
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team looking for winning season
- Greenfield's Claudia Kirkpatrick sets school record at state swimming meet
- Boys soccer: West Allis Hale's Sykes, Mesich named Greater Metro first-team in soccer (1)
- Girls swimming: West Allis diver Maggie Pomerenke qualifies for state swimming meet