Playoffs: Lost in WIAA regional final to Milwaukee King, 64-52
Conference: Greater Metro
Coach: David Mlachnik
Key returnees: Jarvis Garrett, jr. (12.3 ppg); Najeal McMillian, sr. (12.3 ppg); Tonnie Collier, sr. (7.4 ppg); Darvell Brown, sr. (5.2 ppg)
Key losses: Anthony Harris (10.5 ppg), Chris Helm (6.1 ppg)
David Mlachnik moves over to the Central boys after coaching the Bulldog girls the past few seasons, taking over for Lou Chapman, who left in June. Mlachnik inherits some solid talent, particularly in Garrett and McMillian, who shared the team scoring lead last season. Mlachnik said ballhandling and rebounding should be strong points, but defense will be the main determining factor in how good the Bulldogs might be. "If we can get after it (on defense)," Mlachnik said, "we could have a real good year."
1 How long will it take Mlachnik and his players to adjust to each other? Sometimes, it takes a while for coaches and players to adapt and work in a new system. Mlachnik does have boys coaching experience, having directed the junior varsity and freshman teams at Milwaukee Vincent and Muskego.
2 Central will need more consistency than last season, when the Bulldogs were up and down. They never won more than two straight games at any point in 2010-11 and only had one two-game winning streak along the way.
3 A player to watch should be freshman guard Brandon Key, who Mlachnik said played well in AAU action. If Key can make contributions, the Bulldogs will be just that much more balanced and thus more dangerous.
Nov. 25 - vs. Madison West at Homestead High School; Nov. 26 - vs. TBA at Homestead High School; Dec. 2 - at Wauwatosa East; Dec. 9 - Sussex Hamilton; Dec. 10 - vs. Nicolet at Homestead High School; Dec. 13 - at West Allis Hale; Dec. 15 - Brookfield Central; Dec. 22 - at Sheboygan South; Jan. 6 - at Marquette; Jan. 13 - at Menomonee Falls; Jan. 17 - at Racine Horlick; Jan. 20 - Brookfield East; Jan. 22 - at Marian Catholic; Jan. 24 - Wauwatosa East; Jan. 27 - at Sussex Hamilton; Jan. 31 - West Allis Hale; Feb. 3 - at Brookfield Central; Feb. 10 - Marquette; Feb. 17 - Menomonee Falls; Feb. 21 - Destiny; Feb. 23 - at Brookfield East
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 26, 2015
- West Allis Central advances five wrestlers to WIAA Division 1 state tournament
- Greenfield girls basketball team breaks .500 barrier for first time in eight years
- West Allis Hale holds diabetes awareness night at basketball game
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 19, 2015
- West Allis Hale boys basketball team extends winning streak to four
- Whitnall wrestling co-op edges West Allis Central for regional team championship
- West Allis Central boys basketball team reverses its fortune
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 12, 2015
- West Allis Central wrestlers bring home Greater Metro tournament crown