After West Allis Central raced out to an early 18-0 lead on the road, Waukesha Catholic Memorial roared back with 39 unanswered points to defeat the Bulldogs, 39-18, at Carroll College to open the 2011 football season on Friday.
Central started off fast as senior Joe Fogl sprung free to block a punt, and teammate Jerrell Muse picked up the ball and took it 15 yards for the game’s first score. On Memorial's second play from scrimmage following the blocked punt, senior Zach Michalski undercut his defender, intercepting the ball and taking it 50 yards for a touchdown.
Central was clinging to a one-touchdown lead midway through the fourth quarter but as time wore down, so did the Bulldogs' offensive and defensive lines. Memorial quarterback Charlie Walsh gashed the defense for big plays with both his feet and arm. Three quick strikes by Memorial in the less than four minutes turned a seven point deficit to a comfortable victory.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: May 21, 2015
- West Allis Central's Criswell, Hunter both win two events at West Allis Hale Invitational
- West Allis Hale's Tomlin, Central's Schultz, Whitnall's Bickerstaff all win at Hale
- Whitnall boys golf team captures first in Woodland Conference East Division standings
- Sport Shorts: May 14, 2015
- West Allis Hale boys track team wins six events, team championship at New Berlin West
- Sport Shorts: May 7, 2015
- West Allis Central boys track team secures third at Wauwatosa Invitational
- Greenfield girls soccer team blanks two opponents after tough loss to Greendale
- Relay team, Hunter win events for West Allis Central boys track and field team