After West Allis Central raced out to an early 18-0 lead on the road, Waukesha Catholic Memorial roared back with 39 unanswered points to defeat the Bulldogs, 39-18, at Carroll College to open the 2011 football season on Friday.
Central started off fast as senior Joe Fogl sprung free to block a punt, and teammate Jerrell Muse picked up the ball and took it 15 yards for the game’s first score. On Memorial's second play from scrimmage following the blocked punt, senior Zach Michalski undercut his defender, intercepting the ball and taking it 50 yards for a touchdown.
Central was clinging to a one-touchdown lead midway through the fourth quarter but as time wore down, so did the Bulldogs' offensive and defensive lines. Memorial quarterback Charlie Walsh gashed the defense for big plays with both his feet and arm. Three quick strikes by Memorial in the less than four minutes turned a seven point deficit to a comfortable victory.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Aug. 27, 2015
- Mistakes hurt West Allis Hale football team in loss to Waterford
- Football: Whitnall pulls off big plays to beat West Allis Central in 2015 football opener (2)
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: West Allis Central Bulldogs
- West Allis Bowmen schedule archery safari shoot for Labor Day weekend
- Sports Notes: Aug. 20, 2015
- New West Allis Central football coach hopes to tune up offense
- Returnees give West Allis Hale football team hope for improvement (1)
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: West Allis Hale Huskies
- Gridiron Guide: Keith Ringelberg stepping up to head coaching spot for West Allis Central football team (1)