After West Allis Central raced out to an early 18-0 lead on the road, Waukesha Catholic Memorial roared back with 39 unanswered points to defeat the Bulldogs, 39-18, at Carroll College to open the 2011 football season on Friday.
Central started off fast as senior Joe Fogl sprung free to block a punt, and teammate Jerrell Muse picked up the ball and took it 15 yards for the game’s first score. On Memorial's second play from scrimmage following the blocked punt, senior Zach Michalski undercut his defender, intercepting the ball and taking it 50 yards for a touchdown.
Central was clinging to a one-touchdown lead midway through the fourth quarter but as time wore down, so did the Bulldogs' offensive and defensive lines. Memorial quarterback Charlie Walsh gashed the defense for big plays with both his feet and arm. Three quick strikes by Memorial in the less than four minutes turned a seven point deficit to a comfortable victory.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Central baseball squad made some strides in 2014 season
- West Allis Nighthawks get split, share Lakes East lead with New Berlin
- Oak Creek's big rally knocks West Allis Hale out of baseball playoffs
- Mials McMurray, West Allis Hale pull away from Bulldogs in regional
- Baseball: Oak Creek baseball team rallies big
- Baseball: Hale breaks spell with four-run sixth to top West Allis Central
- Hale baseball team downs Central to pull out GMC tournament victory
- Central baseball team wins two, breaks into double digits in victories
- Muskego Hitmen semipro football team opens home season July 19
- Falls baseball team advances on RBI single by Johnson in seventh