After West Allis Central raced out to an early 18-0 lead on the road, Waukesha Catholic Memorial roared back with 39 unanswered points to defeat the Bulldogs, 39-18, at Carroll College to open the 2011 football season on Friday.
Central started off fast as senior Joe Fogl sprung free to block a punt, and teammate Jerrell Muse picked up the ball and took it 15 yards for the game’s first score. On Memorial's second play from scrimmage following the blocked punt, senior Zach Michalski undercut his defender, intercepting the ball and taking it 50 yards for a touchdown.
Central was clinging to a one-touchdown lead midway through the fourth quarter but as time wore down, so did the Bulldogs' offensive and defensive lines. Memorial quarterback Charlie Walsh gashed the defense for big plays with both his feet and arm. Three quick strikes by Memorial in the less than four minutes turned a seven point deficit to a comfortable victory.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sam Schuh spurs improvement of West Allis Hale girls basketball team
- Sport Shorts: April 2, 2015
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team celebrates steady improvement in 2014-15
- West Allis Central, Hale finish one-two in Bulldog relays
- West Allis Hale girls track and field team snares third place at Reinhard Relays
- Former West Allis Central wrestling coach Ed Stech dies at 85
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central sees WIAA tournament run end at hands of powerful Stevens Point
- Resilient West Allis Central boys keep coming back from adversity
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team makes strides in 2014-15
- Boys basketball: West Allis Central's crazy run to state complete with victory over Marquette