West Allis - A good number of local athletes earned high places at the 2011 Special Olympics of Wisconsin State Summer Games in Stevens Point earlier this month.
West Allis residents claiming first places were Taylor Krueger in the 100-meter individual medley and Richard Lorscheter in the 100-meter dash. Greenfield's Nicole Mills won the standing long jump.
West Allis residents taking second were Krueger in the 50 backstroke and Ryan Wick in the five-a-side soccer team. For Greenfield, Marissa Robinette was second in the 100 freestyle relay and Tiffany Schmalzer second in the turbo javelin.
For West Allis, taking third were Katie Muench in the 400 track relay, Lorscheter in the 400 track relay and turbo javelin, Madeleine Ehlers in the running long jump and Matthew Grulke in the 100 freestyle relay. For Greenfield, Rebecca Christensen was third in the 100 dash.
Taking fourth for West Allis were Emily Wisch in the softball throw, Stephanie Becker in the five-a-side soccer and Grulke in the 100 swimming medley relay. For Greenfield, fourths were captured by Robinette in the 100 swimming medley relay and Karen Grzegorski in the five-a-side soccer.
Coming in fifth were Muench in the 200 dash and Schmalzer in the standing long jump.
- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Veterans give optimism to West Allis Hale softball
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Central snaps softball losing streak
- West Allis Central's Brent Hunter, Josh Boeder star for track and field team
- Sports Shorts: April 10
- West Allis Central, Hale girls track and field teams finish in middle of pack
- West Allis Central's Key led Bulldogs' resurgence
- West Allis Central adds another track championship
- West Allis Central, Hale track and field teams do well in relays
- Central boys claim Reinhard relay crown