West Allis - Going into the season, West Allis Central baseball coach Rick Hoppert was not dealt a full hand, and as a result, victories have not been in the cards for his Bulldogs.
"We had five seniors who decided not to play this summer," Hoppert said. "We have had to bring up some sophomores. We are so young and so inexperienced, and in the Greater Metro Conference, the competition is so stiff."
The Bulldogs came into this week with a 0-16 record, including 0-10 in the GMC. They lost to West Allis Hale, 8-3, on June 13; to Brookfield East, 10-0, on June 14; to Franklin, 11-1, on June 16; and to Oak Creek, 13-1, on Friday.
"We are improving in every phase, starting with pitching," Hoppert said. "We can at least have some mini-victories, and we can play for next year, trying to get better with all these young players."
Sophomore Victor Perea notched a pair of hits and drove in two runs against Hale in the first game last week, while sophomore Josh Neary doubled.
Sophomore Brandon Burdick, sophomore Dylan Diebitz and senior Joe Smith handled the pitching duties, holding an opponent under 10 runs for the first time this season.
Central had one hit against Brookfield East but managed six against GMC leader Franklin. Perea doubled and scored the lone run in the Oak Creek game on Friday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale boys basketball team hopes to build on 2013-14 state run
- West Allis Hale boys cross country team announces season awards
- Hot-shooting West Allis Hale girls roll past Lutheran in season opener
- West Allis Hale girls basketball team hoping for breakthrough season
- West Allis divers perform well in WIAA Division 1 sectional action
- West Allis Hale boys volleyball team ousted from tourney by Spartans
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 6, 2014
- Hale cross country runners Nelson and Mihaljevic head to state
- Sport Shorts: Oct, 23, 2014 issue
- West Allis Hale closes out football season with 35-7 loss to Lancers