West Allis - Going into the season, West Allis Central baseball coach Rick Hoppert was not dealt a full hand, and as a result, victories have not been in the cards for his Bulldogs.
"We had five seniors who decided not to play this summer," Hoppert said. "We have had to bring up some sophomores. We are so young and so inexperienced, and in the Greater Metro Conference, the competition is so stiff."
The Bulldogs came into this week with a 0-16 record, including 0-10 in the GMC. They lost to West Allis Hale, 8-3, on June 13; to Brookfield East, 10-0, on June 14; to Franklin, 11-1, on June 16; and to Oak Creek, 13-1, on Friday.
"We are improving in every phase, starting with pitching," Hoppert said. "We can at least have some mini-victories, and we can play for next year, trying to get better with all these young players."
Sophomore Victor Perea notched a pair of hits and drove in two runs against Hale in the first game last week, while sophomore Josh Neary doubled.
Sophomore Brandon Burdick, sophomore Dylan Diebitz and senior Joe Smith handled the pitching duties, holding an opponent under 10 runs for the first time this season.
Central had one hit against Brookfield East but managed six against GMC leader Franklin. Perea doubled and scored the lone run in the Oak Creek game on Friday.
- West Allis Hale baseball team experiences tough times during busy week
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016
- West Allis Central baseball team tops West Allis Hale, picks up first victory of season
- West Allis Hale baseball team gets one victory in four tries against GMC foes
- West Allis Hale girls soccer season ends with sectional semifinal loss to Muskego
- West Allis Central baseball team grooming freshman pitchers in 2016
- Greenfield, Whitnall, West Allis Hale and West Allis Central Sport Shorts: June 9, 2016
- Redieske helps lift Whitnall baseball team past New Berlin West to halt losing streak
- West Allis Central's Schultz captures second place in shot put at state meet
- West Allis Hale's Stevens snares seventh in WIAA Division 1 state high jump