West Allis — Sophomores Emily Fuchs and Sara Quesnell of West Allis will both make multiple appearances at this weekend's WIAA State Gymnastics Meet at Wisconsin Rapids.
Both will compete in the all-around after finishing in the top five in a sectional meet on Friday at Waukesha West. They will also take part in individual events when the meet begins at 5:40 p.m. on Friday.
Fuchs finished second in all-around at the sectional with 36.25 points, trailing only Kirstyn Wood of Hartland Arrowhead (37.7). Quesnell captured fourth in all-around at 36.025 points.
Fuchs was the runner up in vaulting with 9.5 points, behind only Emily Burke of Arrowhead with 9.525. "Emily (Fuchs) had one of her best vaults of the season, and this was the meet to do it," coach Katie Colombo said.
She also qualified in floor exercise, taking fourth with 9.275 points.
Quesnell will also compete on balance beam after finishing in a tie for second at the sectional with Cori Sanduski of Homestead (9.3). Both trailed Wood of Arrowhead (9.475). "Sara's hard work on beam this season really paid off, qualifying her to state," Colombo said.
On uneven parallel bars, Quesnell was in a tie for eighth (8.775) and Fuchs took 10th (8.7). Quesnell was 12th in vaulting and 10th in floor, while Fuchs took eighth on beam.
Also taking part in the sectional were Kori Huddleston, Lauren Walker, Nicole Larson and Kathy O'Hara.
West Allis scored 134.25 points for fifth place in the meet, which was won by Arrowhead (145.1). Homestead (139.85) also qualified as a team for state.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale's Ron Kurtz crosses finish line of coaching career
- Losses continue for competitive West Allis Central baseball team
- Long before NBA draft, Looney leaves impression on West Allis Central coach
- West Allis Hale baseball team starts poorly but finishes week strongly
- West Allis Hale makes move up Greater Metro Conference ladder with three victories
- West Allis Nighthawks break loose on offense, hammer Grafton
- Greenfield baseball team blanks Pius XI 1-0 in contest at Miller Park
- West Allis Hale's Scherer claims medal in pole vault at state track meet
- Sport Shorts: June 4, 2015
- Criswell paces West Allis Central boys state track contingent