There is a quicker "main" detour than the Lincoln/Beloit route and DOT officials think a lot of drivers are going to take it.
That would involve simply getting off I-94 onto 84th Street and taking it south to Greenfield Avenue and then west to I-894. Under that plan, businesses on the north side of Greenfield Avenue would lose their street parking from 84th to 92nd streets to add more flow capacity.
That is expected to be the main detour. But with the volume of traffic expected from the ramp closure, DOT officials want to be ready with another detour, to take the pressure off Greenfield Avenue.
The Lincoln/Beloit detour is favored, at this point, partly because fewer businesses (five) would be affected compared to National Avenue from 70th to 95th Street. But the latter would only lose street parking for the two-year life of the ramp work, while the Lincoln Avenue businesses would likely lose out permanently.
That's because the city would like to clear up the bottleneck, on the state's dime, at the Lincoln Avenue/Beloit Road intersection and the help the DOT is offering would do that, a city official said. Currently, left turns aren't allowed from Lincoln onto Beloit Road at rush hour.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- How 205 immigrants became citizens at the State Fair Park last week
- News & Notes: Nov. 27, 2014
- Crowdfunding a sucess for West Allis outdoor fitness stations
- Rebecca Grill, city of Milwaukee deputy city clerk, was approved as the new West Allis city administ
- Christmas festivities abound throughout the area
- Candy Cane Lane will again be a fantasy of holiday lights from Nov. 28 to Dec. 26.
- West Allis, Greenfield question need to widen Highway 100
- West Allis Central shows support for classmate who had food allergy reaction
- Greenfield police report: Nov. 20, 2014 issue
- Hearings next week on I-94 ramps deemed critical to West Allis