West Allis will explore the cost of painting railroad bridge over Greenefield Avenue at 105th Street
West Allis — Tired of waiting for the Union Pacific to paint its railroad bridge over Greenfield Avenue at 105th Street, West Allis will see how much it would cost to do the work itself.
It would use federal block grant money for the job, not property taxes.
"Everybody knows that bridge is pretty hideous," said Alderman Marty Weigel. It's a stumbling block to the city cleaning up its image, he said.
"It's a definite eyesore," agreed Alderwoman Rosalie Reinke.
On a split vote, the council decided to seek bids for the job. Alderman Vince Vitale cast one of the two votes against.
He too wants the bridge painted, Vitale said, but he strongly objects to the double standard that exists between the railroad and ordinary citizens.
"We tell them they have to fix their properties," he said, but the railroad can just ignore city ordinances.
"Who are the laws made for?" Vitale said. Also voting against was Alderman Michael Czaplewski.
Alderman Michael May who voted to get bids said the situation is frustrating because the federal government protects railroads.
"There's absolutely nothing the city can do," May said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis-West Milwaukee taps Shorewood superintendent for top spot
- Students, parents say response to overcrowding at Nathan Hale is unfair
- Glendale mayoral candidates will debate city issues tonight
- Decision delayed on Nathan Hale High School overcrowding
- West Allis police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: March 19, 2015 issue
- West Allis students star in webcast on educational use of technology streamed to D.C. event
- West Allis school board to hold special meeting to OK superintendent
- Greenfield High School assistant principal going to Arrowhead