It looks like a skate park will become a reality in West Allis.
The Common Council on Tuesday approved a $409,998 construction contract to New Berlin-based Western Contractors Inc. for the facility, to be located in Radtke Park at 84th Street and National Avenue.
The skateboarding park is being paid for with federal Community Development Block Grant dollars with a private donation. Construction is expected to begin in spring with completion in late summer or fall.
The park plan was delayed a year because bids came in dramatically higher — the low bid was $651,175 — than the $300,000 the Common Council expected when it approved the skate park in January 2013.
Officials said when those high bids arrived August, the timing was wrong to get the best prices. So, all the bids were rejected in favor of trying again this year.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis police report: May 28, 2015 issue
- Annual roadwork is full steam ahead in Greenfield and West Allis
- West Allis radio club tunes into local, worldwide chatter
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: May 28
- Greenfield police report: May 21, 2015 issue
- Teens charged in burglaries
- West Allis veterans groups, city to honor vets with parade, ceremony
- Greenfield police report: May 14, 2015 issue
- West Allis police report: May 14, 2015 issue
- Students at Wauwatosa's Plank Road School find passion in woodworking