It looks like a skate park will become a reality in West Allis.
The Common Council on Tuesday approved a $409,998 construction contract to New Berlin-based Western Contractors Inc. for the facility, to be located in Radtke Park at 84th Street and National Avenue.
The skateboarding park is being paid for with federal Community Development Block Grant dollars with a private donation. Construction is expected to begin in spring with completion in late summer or fall.
The park plan was delayed a year because bids came in dramatically higher — the low bid was $651,175 — than the $300,000 the Common Council expected when it approved the skate park in January 2013.
Officials said when those high bids arrived August, the timing was wrong to get the best prices. So, all the bids were rejected in favor of trying again this year.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin State Fair bans sale of Confederate flags (4)
- West Allis-West Milwaukee high schoolers go after college credit
- West Allis Health Department nurse wins state award
- 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' to open at Inspiration Studios
- 84th Street ramps at I-94 to be open for the Wisconsin State Fair
- West Allis superintendent named to school advocacy group leadership
- Educator from Anchorage likely to take reins of West Allis school
- West Allis schools closing door on bad material, but window open
- Survey: More than half West Allis-West Milwaukee underclassmen feel unsafe (2)
- West Allis school officials worry parents can't monitor iPads (5)