It looks like a skate park will become a reality in West Allis.
The Common Council on Tuesday approved a $409,998 construction contract to New Berlin-based Western Contractors Inc. for the facility, to be located in Radtke Park at 84th Street and National Avenue.
The skateboarding park is being paid for with federal Community Development Block Grant dollars with a private donation. Construction is expected to begin in spring with completion in late summer or fall.
The park plan was delayed a year because bids came in dramatically higher — the low bid was $651,175 — than the $300,000 the Common Council expected when it approved the skate park in January 2013.
Officials said when those high bids arrived August, the timing was wrong to get the best prices. So, all the bids were rejected in favor of trying again this year.
- West Allis and Wangard Partners recognized for the clean up and redevelopment of an induistrial site
- In Bief: Free meals, fire, mural, fatal, FBI, brewery
- Parade to be biggest part of July 4 celebration in West Allis
- Preliminary West Allis school budget wipes out $4.2 million in red ink
- 'Thinking art' to make for powerful exhibit in West Allis
- Things to do: Concerts, fests, beer garden
- Bicycle ride share proposal could be rolling soon in West Allis
- More decorative bike racks could add panache to West Allis locales
- West Allis Police blotter: June 30, 2016
- West Allis taps into tool to help get foreclosed properties fixed up