It looks like a skate park will become a reality in West Allis.
The Common Council on Tuesday approved a $409,998 construction contract to New Berlin-based Western Contractors Inc. for the facility, to be located in Radtke Park at 84th Street and National Avenue.
The skateboarding park is being paid for with federal Community Development Block Grant dollars with a private donation. Construction is expected to begin in spring with completion in late summer or fall.
The park plan was delayed a year because bids came in dramatically higher — the low bid was $651,175 — than the $300,000 the Common Council expected when it approved the skate park in January 2013.
Officials said when those high bids arrived August, the timing was wrong to get the best prices. So, all the bids were rejected in favor of trying again this year.
- West Allis to salute veterans with parade, memorial ceremony
- Body in parking lot identified as West Milwaukee man, 23
- Transgender issue sparks questions among Whitnall, West Allis and Greenfield school officials
- Man steals vehicle from business, returns to apply for job
- Greenfield and West Allis campus news: May 26
- Death investigation after body of a man is found in West Milwaukee
- West Allis Police blotter: May 26, 2016
- Splash into these summer drinks to get your tan on
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Things to do: May 19, 2016