It looks like a skate park will become a reality in West Allis.
The Common Council on Tuesday approved a $409,998 construction contract to New Berlin-based Western Contractors Inc. for the facility, to be located in Radtke Park at 84th Street and National Avenue.
The skateboarding park is being paid for with federal Community Development Block Grant dollars with a private donation. Construction is expected to begin in spring with completion in late summer or fall.
The park plan was delayed a year because bids came in dramatically higher — the low bid was $651,175 — than the $300,000 the Common Council expected when it approved the skate park in January 2013.
Officials said when those high bids arrived August, the timing was wrong to get the best prices. So, all the bids were rejected in favor of trying again this year.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Accident causes two lanes of I-894/US 45 to close
- Jefferson Elementary School, West Allis, awarded pair of grants
- West Allis to celebrate Independence Day with parade, fireworks
- Painting exhibition to open at Inspiration Studios, West Allis
- West Allis to start pilot program accepting electronics, TVs
- West Allis police report: June 18, 2015 issue
- West Allis painting 'shabby' railroad bridge over Greenfield Avenue
- Original one-act plays to take the stage this weekend in West Allis
- Behavioral network recognizes 16 West Allis-West Milwaukee schools
- West Allis police report: June 11, 2015 issue