It looks like a skate park will become a reality in West Allis.
The Common Council on Tuesday approved a $409,998 construction contract to New Berlin-based Western Contractors Inc. for the facility, to be located in Radtke Park at 84th Street and National Avenue.
The skateboarding park is being paid for with federal Community Development Block Grant dollars with a private donation. Construction is expected to begin in spring with completion in late summer or fall.
The park plan was delayed a year because bids came in dramatically higher — the low bid was $651,175 — than the $300,000 the Common Council expected when it approved the skate park in January 2013.
Officials said when those high bids arrived August, the timing was wrong to get the best prices. So, all the bids were rejected in favor of trying again this year.
- West Allis Police respond to shots fired
- West Allis woman wins $50,000 in Powerball (1)
- In brief: Police mystery, parks
- Things to do: Rummage sales, farmers market, clothing giveaway
- Video: Dine and Dash teams to eat and drink their way through West Allis
- West Allis Police Blotter: April 28, 2016
- West Allis contemplating $80 million referendum to build a new Central High School (4)
- West Allis police ask help in 1995 disappearance of woman
- West Allis Police Blotter: April 21, 2016
- Fusion band Mas Soul to perform April 30