It looks like a skate park will become a reality in West Allis.
The Common Council on Tuesday approved a $409,998 construction contract to New Berlin-based Western Contractors Inc. for the facility, to be located in Radtke Park at 84th Street and National Avenue.
The skateboarding park is being paid for with federal Community Development Block Grant dollars with a private donation. Construction is expected to begin in spring with completion in late summer or fall.
The park plan was delayed a year because bids came in dramatically higher — the low bid was $651,175 — than the $300,000 the Common Council expected when it approved the skate park in January 2013.
Officials said when those high bids arrived August, the timing was wrong to get the best prices. So, all the bids were rejected in favor of trying again this year.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Luther Memorial Church in West Alis to hold spaghetti dinner
- Update: West Allis Central High School students respond calmly during bomb-threat evacuation (10)
- Data skimmers found on several ATMs in West Allis, police warn (2)
- West Allis police blotter: Feb. 4
- West Allis schools to leave SAGE, open more seats for nonresidents
- West Allis schools to start trek back to neighborhood schools in fall (7)
- Freeway lanes in West Allis closed
- Community Calendar: Jan. 28, 2016
- West Allis police report: Jan. 28, 2016
- Video: Third Sandwich-a-Thon in West Allis turns out 400 sandwiches for homeless shelter