West Allis - Charles Padgett, a deputy chief of police in West Allis, was appointed interim chief by the West Allis Police and Fire Commission last week.
Padgett will take over as interim chief Nov. 17, subsequent to Police Chief Michael Jungbluth's last working day. Jungbluth will not officially retire until the end of the year.
The Police and Fire Commission will accept applications for the chief's position until Oct. 26. It will start evaluating candidates after that.
Padgett started with the department as a patrol officer 24 years ago. Rising through the ranks, he became deputy chief in March 2011. He currently is in charge of operations.
"I'm grateful for the opportunity," Padgett said Friday. "I'll work as hard as I can to ensure that we move forward and continue the positive atmosphere with other departments and citizens throughout the city."
Even though he's only interim chief, Padgett will face the challenges of running a department from which 14 or 15 people will be retiring between now and February.
He said the biggest problems he sees right now are keeping staffing at a productive working level and being sure that hiring practices result in getting the best candidates for the open positions.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis-West Milwaukee high schoolers go after college credit
- West Allis Health Department nurse wins state award
- 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' to open at Inspiration Studios
- 84th Street ramps at I-94 to be open for the Wisconsin State Fair
- West Allis superintendent named to school advocacy group leadership
- Educator from Anchorage likely to take reins of West Allis school
- West Allis schools closing door on bad material, but window open
- Survey: More than half West Allis-West Milwaukee underclassmen feel unsafe (2)
- West Allis school officials worry parents can't monitor iPads (5)
- West Allis police report: July 16