West Allis recognizes beauty award-winning properties
Former mayor's home among those honored
West Allis — The eight winners of Awards for Attractive Properties and the three winners of Proclamations of Commendations for Most Patriotic Property were honored by the West Allis Common Council recently.
The West Allis Beautification Committee chooses the winners annually — normally from eight to 10 nominations in each of the city's five aldermanic districts.
This year the home of former mayor Jeannette Bell and husband Chet, 2922 S. 103rd St., was a beautification award winner.
Competition on her street has been stiff, said Pat Wolfe, a Beautification Committee member. Two years ago, a home north of her on 103rd Street won and last year a home south of her won, Wolfe said.
The other winners of Commendation Awards for Attractive Properties are Laura Apkarian, 804 S. 112th St.; Erland and Virgina Froholdt, 2879 S. 104th St.; John and Debra Kuether, 2817 S. 103rd St.; Marlene Redmerski, 2331 S. 85th St.; Robert Suwyn, 6508 W. Mitchell St.; Paul and Virginia Wilcox, 2209 S. 109th St.; and Big Dogs Sports Grill (Karen Schoenfeld and Gary Jackowski), 9427 W. Greenfield Ave.
The Most Patriotic Award for Memorial Day went to Kathleen McGrogan, 2225 S. 68th St.; for Flag Day, Julianne Opalewski, 1649 S. 68th St.; and for the Fourth of July, Paul Olszewski and Mary Nyback, 2067 S. 77th St.
Awards also were given previously to homes with the most attractive porches.
The Beautification Committee scores each property according to certain criteria. Among other things, the committee looks at the entire property, not just the front.
"Some fronts are absolutely outstanding, but the back — yikes," Wolfe said.
A house can only win every 10 years, she said.
Evaluating all the nominees is time-consuming, Wolfe said, but the veteran committee member looks forward to it.
"This is a highlight of the year," she said.
Director of forestry Michael Rushmer is chairman of the committee.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Inspiration Studios in West Allis exhibits liquid sculpture photos
- Layoffs to affect Johnson Controls West Allis offices
- Longtime musicals director at West Allis Central High School defended (1)
- West Allis police hope to recruit those with security cameras
- IRS scam returns to West Allis, police warn
- West Allis police report
- Speakers say new fees would endanger Scouting, hamper PTAs and others
- West Allis-West Milwaukee approves tax decrease preliminary budget
- West Allis prepares for Settlers Days weekend
- Hartland girl wins big at the Governor's livestock auction at Wisconsin State Fair