West Allis — West Allis Mayor Dan Devine is glad he started his coffee with the mayor at Urban Joe Cafe, 7028 W. Greenfield Ave., last month.
On the first and third Mondays of the month he will meet with anyone who wants to talk about how things are going in West Allis and how they might be going better. He'll be there again Monday, May 5, from 9 until at least 10 a.m.
Devine plans to move the coffees to other businesses later on.
In the first two sessions, groups of less than half a dozen people talked about a wide range of subjects including the downtown, absentee landlords, the city's efforts to make use of suitable trash carts more widespread and efforts to clean up the city.
"There's a lot of exchanging ideas. They don't have specific agendas," Devine said.
Although he hasn't yet been surprised by the suggestions he hears, Devine said, "I take notes every time."
From a discussion of sprucing up downtown facades emerged an idea that awnings might enhance the look of the downtown. Something like the murals in downtown Ashland also were suggested, Devine said.
On the more controversial side was a suggestion to ban cigarette advertising in downtown storefronts.
"The city attorney is looking into that," Devine said.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Energy job cut from tax budget
- West Allis opens arms to long-awaited skate park
- Draft report admits economic harm to West Allis of likely ramp closure (2)
- West Allis woman cares for abandoned dogs; fundraiser on Nov. 22
- News & Notes: Nov. 13, 2014 issue
- Toppers pizza in West Allis tops off governor's election night party
- 'Cinderella' works some magic on West Allis Central stage
- Community Calendar: Nov. 13. 2014
- West Allis refuses to allow drinking on bar decks too close to residences