West Allis — West Allis Mayor Dan Devine is glad he started his coffee with the mayor at Urban Joe Cafe, 7028 W. Greenfield Ave., last month.
On the first and third Mondays of the month he will meet with anyone who wants to talk about how things are going in West Allis and how they might be going better. He'll be there again Monday, May 5, from 9 until at least 10 a.m.
Devine plans to move the coffees to other businesses later on.
In the first two sessions, groups of less than half a dozen people talked about a wide range of subjects including the downtown, absentee landlords, the city's efforts to make use of suitable trash carts more widespread and efforts to clean up the city.
"There's a lot of exchanging ideas. They don't have specific agendas," Devine said.
Although he hasn't yet been surprised by the suggestions he hears, Devine said, "I take notes every time."
From a discussion of sprucing up downtown facades emerged an idea that awnings might enhance the look of the downtown. Something like the murals in downtown Ashland also were suggested, Devine said.
On the more controversial side was a suggestion to ban cigarette advertising in downtown storefronts.
"The city attorney is looking into that," Devine said.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis police report: April 23, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: April 23, 2015 issue
- Trees being felled at Greenfield Park for golf course upgrades and disease prevention
- Oscar's in West Allis sports new look (5)
- Uncertainty surrounds Bublr Bikes ride-share in West Allis
- 'Moon Over Buffalo' hits West Allis stage
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: April 16
- Military honors West Allis businessman
- National Juniore Honor Society off to fast start at West Milwaukee Intermediate School: NJHS off to fast start in first year
- Tornado watch in effect