West Allis has a lot to hear about in proposed developments
Upcoming city topics include controversial cement batch plant
West Allis — A controversial request to establish a cement plant near homes is one of the development proposals that will go to a public hearing at 7 p.m. Nov. 5 at the City Hall, 7525 W. Greenfield Ave.
The proposed batch plant would mix batches of concrete and load them into dump trucks that would take the loads to paving projects tied to the Zoo Interchange.
Brownsville-based Michels Corp. is asking to establish a plant on Quad/Graphics property at 555 S. 108th St. Neighbors, who already have lived with a cement plant in the area, have complained to aldermen that they don't want the dust and noise from a second plant.
Potentially making the Michels plant even more controversial is that much paving work on the interchange will be done at night, as Alderman Gary Barczak learned at a Wisconsin Department of Transportation update. Michels has asked to be allowed to operate any time.
Although zoning allows cement batch plants, a special-use permit is needed.
Anchor Bank also will be in front of the Common Council in a hearing on a special-use permit request. The bank wants to demolish the building at its current location, 7401 W. Greenfield Ave., and rebuild it with a drive-through.
In addition, King Spa, a massage and wellness center proposed for 3036 S. 92nd St., will go to a public hearing that night. The proposed spa also needs a special-use permit.
Finally, the council will take input on whether indoor auto sales ought to be allowed in C-3 commercial districts, such as at 70th Street and Greenfield Avenue. The C-3 zoning caters to larger businesses.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New job initiatives to launch at West Allis schools
- Twisted Bistro owners want business to become a top dog in West Allis
- West Allis police report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- Greenfield police notes Dec. 16, 2014
- Greenfield police report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- West Allis-West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce fundraiser does OK
- Memphis resident honors West Allis girl's memory in St. Jude marathon
- Greenfield police report: Dec. 11, 2014 issue
- West Allis police report: Dec. 11, 2014 issue
- West Allis takes stronger control of pawn shops